1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manual Focusing

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slothead, Aug 16, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hello again guys,
    I recently posted about finding adapters to interface my Nikkor lenses to the Oly OM-D E-M5 camera and now I am thinking about manual focusing... Back in the old days we had very common split-image focusing screens. Now we don't (unless surgically added I understand). So how does one reliably focus in a manual mode on a modern day MFT camera?

(I'm sorry if I am intruding with this when I could potentially search for the subject, but my search talents are very weak.)

2. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    It's easy with the OMD. You can set record button to manual focus. You hit it once to get the MF box, which you move to where you want it, then hit the button again and it will enlarge the box to fill the screen. Half press the shutter to engage IS, then focus by hand. Press the record button again to go back to a normal view and shoot.

I shoot mainly static subjects, so this works well for me. If shooting people or other moving subjects, then this won't work as well.

3. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

That's correct. I set one of my function buttons to bring up the MF zoom box. Quite easy to get focus right (and it's handy for getting a better look at a distant object). How much room for error you have will of course be determined by your aperture selection. Very much enjoying using some of my old Canon FD glass on my E-M5. Still, given it would only take a firmware adjustment, not sure why Olympus doesn't add focus peaking like on NEX.

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I agree that, if it's possible to add, this would be fantastic!

5. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Using a MF lens on a MFT camera is much like having a TLR back in the day ,they didn't have any focusing aid other than a flip up magnifier I didn't have any problems with my Mamiya 33.
    Just use either zone focus for a given f stop or use the magnifying function.
    No big deal I use my EPL-1 just the same as I did with my 35mm cameras but without film,that is the joy of it to me, I never liked AF or full auto on lesser cameras.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Great tips. Thanks guys! Now since I expect to have my E-M5 in my hot little hands within a couple hours, I'll be ready to experiment! :smile: How I do wish they put GPS transmitters on those brown trucks!

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My father-in-law used to use that camera back then, out of a Cessna too. He might have had an RB67 (did I get that right?) too.

8. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I couldn't afford an Rb67 but the 2 1/4" square format was great I could get nice 11X14s
    from it.

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    On the OMD, the FN2 button is set by default to pick four functions, one of which is Magnify Mode. Hold it down and rotate the shutter dial to view/select the desired Magnify Mode. Then in operation, you press it once to get the focus box, and a second press gives magnify mode at that box location.

You can do the above with your micro 43 lenses to see how the function works.

Sometimes, you want to use MF mode with an AF lens, but still want the lens to focus on demand, i.e, set it and it stays there. This can be programmed too, but that's another discussion.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's also important to set the focal length of the lens as the camera cannot do that automatically with a manual focus lens.