Manual focusing with Panny 12-35mm and OM-D

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by trandg, Nov 10, 2012.

1. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    Just received my 12-35mm. For some reason when i move the focus ring it won't manual focus. Do I have to put the OM-D into a mode to get the lens to focus manually? I've had no issues focusing manually with the 12-50mm Oly kit lens or other manual focus lenses, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

2. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    So I remapped the record button on the OM-D to set for MF, but there has to be an easier way?

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Go into the super control panel and turn on S-AF/MF. Then it's always on along side AF, though if you want to adjuct an AF shot, you'll need to have a button mapped to AF-lock. Otherwise, it'll just re-auto focus the next time you half-press the shutter.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, use "S-AF + MF", not "S-AF". I personally see absolutely no reason to turn MF off and don't even know why there is a default setting for just S-AF.

If you intend on doing a lot of manual focusing, then I would further suggest to take S-AF right off of the shutter mechanism and into it's own button by setting up "back button focus". In my humble opinion, there is nothing more annoying than a camera which constantly wants to refocus on its own whenever you're ready to depress the shutter.