1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manual focusing suggestion.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rambling Sam, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I suppose one of the features I'd like is additional 'Friction' when operating a lens in the manual mode. I realise that Olly and Panny m4/3rds lenses employ 'fly-by-wire' focusing and therefore don't use a helicoid thread, which is what imparts the friction encountered on other lenses. However, lenses like the 7-14mm f2.8 and 12-40mm zooms can be switched to Manual focusing by retracting the focusing ring; maybe when doing this, some form of 'stiffening' or a clutch could be applied/engaged? The thing is, do other people think of this would be a good idea?

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The 12-40 has a well dampened focus ring which feels like you are turning something inside even though you are not.
    The issue with focus by wire is more that people perceive there to be a lag from when you turn to when the lens elements are actually moving.
    Getting this to feel like a "real" lens movement is pretty difficult. The camera has to read the position of the focus ring, then send commands to move the focus motor which has to do its thing and the result is then seen by the image sensor which needs to be read out and displayed on an electronic view finder. All of this takes a little bit of time, usually enough to give you the impression that it's not quite right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    The 12-40mm and 7-14mm do offer what I consider a satisfactory level of resistance; However, I find the 40mm and to some extent the 75mm could do with incorporating the same mechanisms at some point in the future. With the 40mm I find it's all too easy to accidentally rotate the ring as you are taking your fingers off it.