Manual Focus with EP-1

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi,

Can someone tell me how manual focus is with the EP-1 respect to EPL-1?

I have a chance buying EP1 with VF-1 and 17 mm and OM adapter used for 550 euros.
I really wanted an EPL-1 but maybe this is a bargain.
Can anyone help?

traveler_101

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

Can someone tell me how manual focus is with the EP-1 respect to EPL-1?

I have a chance buying EP1 with VF-1 and 17 mm and OM adapter used for 550 euros.
I really wanted an EPL-1 but maybe this is a bargain.
Can anyone help?

Like you, I really wanted the E-P1 because of price, but also because I like its looks and I think it's a collectable camera. I am going to order the E-P2 instead because of the issue of focusing. E-P2 comes with the electronic viewfinder everyone is raving about; E-PL1 doesn't come with the finder but you can buy it later so you are safe with that choice.

About the E-P1 . . . The boards are full cautionary tales about trying to focus. If you wanted to use MF lenses on the E-P1, it sounds like you need to be adept at zone focusing. Another possibility is to resort to clearviewer or another device to improve visibility of the LCD screen. There are people who say they manage the E-P1 with MF lenses fine, but there are many others who disagree. In the end I decided to stay away from problems and buy the E-P2. But I am going to buy it back in the USA when I go there in a couple of months and the costs are much much lower there than here. That made my choice easier. Good luck to you!

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks traveler_101,

The decision was made for me buy fate: the EP-1 was sold so, fortunately, I don't have the problem anymore.

I think that I'll definetely buy the EPL-1 new with the 14-42 kit lens. The EP-2is very nice but costs too much for me.

Good luck for your trip and have a good bargain with the EP-2.:2thumbs:

FaradayCage

Mu-43 Regular
It's definitely an idiosyncratic camera, the E-PL1, but it is getting harder and harder to put it down. Had mine for only two days when I posted this.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's definitely an idiosyncratic camera, the E-PL1, but it is getting harder and harder to put it down. Had mine for only two days when I posted this.

Hi,

Can you tell me more please? Why idiosyncratic? It feels like you're getting addicted.:smile:
New Epl-1 drug?:eek:

Am I also in danger because maybe planning to get mine on Monday?:wink:

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I think they're all idiosyncratic, aren't they? I suppose it's all a matter of what you're used to. For me the Olympus was my first digital beyond various versions of a point and shoot, prior to that I was a color film person who used the OM-1.

I switched from the E-P2 to the E-PL1 and find it much more comfortable for my needs and wants, which I've posted about ad nauseum. Read the different threads here about the E-PL1 - there are some who are dismayed that the shutter speed only goes up to 1/2000 vs 1/4000 and there's another thread that shows some people's "cons", but neither were important to me. I wrote my own very non techie review in the Reviews section (see the tab in the upper right) where you'll see several others, as well.

Good luck, take your time and then enjoy your choice!:thumbup:

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
i mf with the ep1 with the 10x focus magnification , it works well the first day or two its a burden but soon its almost effortless

FaradayCage

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

Can you tell me more please? Why idiosyncratic? It feels like you're getting addicted.:smile:
New Epl-1 drug?:eek:

Am I also in danger because maybe planning to get mine on Monday?:wink:

Howdy... I merely meant it has some odd omissions, and odd capabilities. You cannot use any sort of official remote cable release on it. You cannot trigger a burst of 3 autobracketed exposures with a single quick press on the shutter release. The zoom on the kit lens is a little stiff and noisy, which can effect video soundtracks. OTOH, you can do reasonably nice IR shots with an 89B filter and you can even autofocus through it! You can very finely adjust WB, all aspects of sharpness and NR, prevent the camera from racking back to infinity on power-down (useful for keeping hyperfocal ready), you can combine "anti-shock" and self-timer to make dozens of custom timer settings, you can autobracket not only WB and exposure but even ISO. The E-PL1 seems like an idiot savant in some ways. Startlingly brilliant but with some odd gaps. And yeah, I'm getting hooked. Hell, it rests on my nightstand lately. I practice handheld long exposures while falling asleep!

dannat

Mu-43 Regular
i find getting focus is OK, its the focus by wire mechanism i don't like - there is no feel there. the 70-300 oly lens i have is more enjoyable to manual focus as i can feel the ring turning better

Latest threads

Top Bottom