1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Manual Focus "Peaking" on the Sony NEX

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Jun 11, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It looks like it has a lot of potential, though it seems like the zone which is in focus is quite broad. I wonder if it will enable very precise focusing.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    WOW! See you later micro 4/3!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That is kinda cool. I think I would find it distracting though. Like Amin, I question whether it would enable very precise focus. After all it's like an AF Confirmation chip, something which is handy to have but not exactly known for accuracy. With all your focused areas turned red, it would be impossible to see your subject to fine tune your focus. Good for getting general AF-like focus, but not precise manual focus.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I think this is something that Sony is bringing over from the videocamera world. I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic and others follow suit.

Credit to Sony though - in the last 12 months they've been more innovative than other brands have been over the last 12 years!

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looking at the video -- I think the person using the camera still takes a bit too long to focus in the first part of the video. I hear there's a firmware update available for the NEX3 that will include Peaking. I have a NEX3, so I'm looking forward to trying it. But Sony still hasn't really released any good lenses, which is frustrating.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    When it is ported over to a good EVF then it may be superfabulous.
    Until then ... certainly not much use with the NEX kit zooms ...
    Workable into G3 firmware? Probably not.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think the last 2 posts missed the whole point of this (and why I'd be surprised if Olympus and Panasonic adopt this technology). This is for using old, legacy glass....not the "sub-par" Sony Lenses. You can put the greatest lesnes you can afford on there and BOOM.....you can now get some focus confirmation.

And I'm not sure why it would by any less precise than the autofocus for their native lenses. Seems like a brilliant idea......not sure why it took so long.

9. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Very clever use of modern technology to take advantage of old lenses.

I would love to see it in the m43 lines, especially in an EVF system, like Ulfric says.

By itself, it is not enough to induce me to buy the sony line.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Having used electronic AF confirmation systems on a Canon 5D and Nikon D700, I know that they can vary greatly in terms of precision. The video example for NEX peaking shows broad regions in focus at any given time, which suggests that it may be inadequate for precise focusing of fast manual lenses. That said, it's definitely a good thing to have, and I hope we get it soon with Micro 4/3!

Very good on Sony's part to be bringing this to NEX-3 and NEX-5. Too many companies leave the previous models in the dust.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    here's an interesting comment from the guy who shot the video to address your concerns Amin.......

"Peaking" mode with each of these lenses works well, especially with 4/135mm. Why?
    Because when you use the MF Assist function, the image is magnified 7.5xi viewing angle is very narrow picture of a trembling, shaking. Manual focusing is difficult, If you use long telephoto lenses "Peaking" mode is best:)
    Good news is, after June 20, "Peaking" is available with a new firmware for NEX 3 and 5

best regards
    Rafiki

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Luke, I don't doubt that it's useful. Magnified focus can be tough to use, isn't quick by any means, and the peaking implementation by Sony is a great development. The issue of precision, however, is not addressed by the comments that you quoted.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    true enough.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The other bit I wonder about -- in some settings, I can pretty well eye-ball when MF is in focus and don't need MF assist (for instance, where the subject is pretty well set off from the background). Waiting for a "peaking" indicator might actually slow me down. For other situations (say, landscape shot), I need MF assist, and this may be where peaking helps.

I have also used MF confirm chips with my 5D, and sometimes just end up ignoring the beep because it actually slows me down. I can't wait to load the new FW on my NEX3 and see what it's like.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The G/GH/PEN EVFs are high enough res that I can see things snap in and out of focus without magnifying. Focusing a portrait at 50mm and f/2.8 is easy enough. I can't, however, focus exactly on the eyes using an adapted 50mm f/1.4 lens wide open unless I got to magnified view, which slows me down considerably. I'd love to have a focus aid which allowed me to focus quickly with that kind of precision!

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    do you think that peaking function will be available using the MF assist 7.5 magnification mode he's talking about? I would think that if it were, it could be pretty precise.
    I should really quit the abstract extrapolation and get to going or I'm gonna be late to work today.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think that once you're at 7.5X, there's no need for peaking. You can see the manual focus with the unaided eye. His point was that at high magnification, it's hard to keep the framing steady due to the very narrow angle of view (especially with telephoto lenses).

18. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Adios Luke!

ps. If you have a Panny 20 give the members a shot at it.....

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    this was said only partially tongue-in-cheek:wink:. Completely giving up would not be a decision I would come to that abruptly. But if I do, of course members here would all be given a crack at all the little bits and bobs I've accumulated on the way.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No need to be hostile here...
    I have both Micro Four Thirds & NEX systems...and peace of mind :smile: