1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Manual focus on PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jeff Bennett, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    There is not anything like the aftermarket split focusing screens for dslr's for the pen digitals is there? I'm finding manual focus od adapted lenses on the lcd to be a little tricky. The lcd is not the greatest to begin with.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The LCD is much better than previous models. ;) Have you tried the VF-2 viewfinder? I think that will probably solve your problems.

Also, are you using the Close-Up button for legacy lenses or the Manual Focus Assist for Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds lenses? This works for both LCD and VF-2.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PL2 screen is fairly low res by today's standards, VF-2 is the only way to go for MF, IMO.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Even with an EVF they could really use peaking in m43. :/

• Like Like x 1
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Peaking is great and invaluable for video. But it can easily be fooled in low contrast situations especially when using large apertures. I'd still use magnification for critical focus

6. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Even with VF-2 on my E-PL1 it is hard to manual focus without using the zoombox. Does anyone have tips on confirming manual focus without zooming in with the VF-2?

VF-2 is definetly is the way to go though because it also acts as stabilizer on top of the ibis.

7. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Sounds like I need the vf-2.

8. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    I find manual focusing with the VF-2 a breeze. Give it a try!