1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manual Focus on G2 & details loss

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by chris2470, Jun 6, 2012.

1. chris2470

chris2470 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    I have a question which has been on my mind for quite a while, regarding the resolution shown on screen or the EVF during the manual focus zoom so I’ll ask to try and see if anybody can help.
    When I select the MF option, then turn the focus ring, it of course zooms into the subject so that fine adjustment can be made, this all works perfectly. The issue I have seen is that, when the picture is taken, then reviewed, it has lost a lot of the fine detail and clarity seen during the manual focus process. I know the focus and distance has not changed as it still happens when on a tripod ?
    As it was reading the data direct from the sensor whilst focusing I can only assume it’s the way the data has been stored or manipulated internally such as the Jpeg engine that’s causes this loss of detail. I’ve also tried saving the pictures as RAW files but also once reviewed on screen this still happens. Perhaps I need to load the RAW files into and appropriate package to get around this ? I’m not sure.
    The drop in clarity is quite large to my eye when reviewed back on screen, when focusing you can almost see the individual grains of pollen inside a flower, but when reviewed this is lost somewhat. They are still perfectly useable, but I was wondering if this was totally normal, so I would very be grateful to hear peoples input on this phenomena.

Best Regards
    Chris A

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay this may seem obvious and on offense in intended but have you made sure the diopter on the EVF is adjusted properly?

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Is image on LCD as sharp as what you're seeing in EVF?

4. chris2470

chris2470 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    When in MF mode during the focus zoom both the EVF and LCD are razor sharp & also with adapted lenses. It only after the pic is taken and reviewed in the play mode I can notice the loss in detail, it’s not as sharp as what I was looking at. I’m guessing is something to do with the in camera processing ?

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I have a G2 and when in playback mode it doesn't show you the full resolution as you zoom in. I don't bother going past 4x and even that is softer than what I'll see on my computer after importing the images. You just have to try it a few times and learn to trust what you saw when you pressed the release.

Fred

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I wonder. Are you really seeing a loss of detail, or does the LCD / EVF image just seem sharper because it's much smaller. The larger the image viewed, the more you're going to notice differences in sharpness. Search and read up on the term Circle of Confusion.

Try reducing the image on your monitor to something like the size of the LCD screen on your camera. I'm willing to bet it looks much, much sharper to you.

7. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    When you review an image (jpg or raw) on your camera you will see a low res jpg image which is imbedded in the larger jpg and raw files. So what you see is perfectly normal on all (I think :smile:) digital cameras.
    It is normal on m4/3 and 4/3 cameras for sure.

Load the files on a computer and you'll see that you have all the detail that you saw at the moment of pressing the shutter button.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chris2470

chris2470 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you all for your input, this makes perfect sense now, you have been great help.

Best Regards
    Chris

9. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    You're welcome! :smile: