Manual focus on E-PL1 with 14-42 kit lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Alf, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    As the moment to leave approaches, I am checking that I learned what I am sure will need.

I am going to take some wideangle, available darkness shoots inside dimly lit churches, where the wide end of the trusty 14-42 will be of help alongside longer exposures.

But we all know that this lens struggles in focusing in low light, so I'm looking for help on this issue.

I tried manual focusing by the ring for a while, and would like to know if there are easy ways to reset focus to infinity and to shortest distance - can't find them in the manual.

Hope somone already had this issue and found a working solution?
    My plan B are the 16/1.4 and 25/1.4 C-mount lenses, but those are only sharp in the center and vignetting is an issue, and pre-travel funds will cover only the VF-2 (if I find it).

2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    There aren't any ways, easy or difficult. Focusing in the gloom with this lens is a pig.

3. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Churches are great subjects to photograph. Let us know how things work out. The only thing I can suggest is focusing in on brighter objects (like stained glass windows), using smaller apertures and a tripod. Sometimes churches don't allow tripods, so I usually bring a small mini-tripod that can be inconspicuously be set up on pews or other surfaces. Also, I would normally bring my manual focus Canon 28mm f2 or Canon 50mm f1.2 in those type of low light conditions.

Here's an example of a hand held shot I took of the ceiling of Notre Dame Cathedral in Old Montreal.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    good topic, i think maybe a quick reset would be having the camera operate in Single Focus + Manual mode, so you focus on something easy and close, take over with the manual control, and then to reset, half-press the shutter button again to reapply the Single Focus.
    That's all I can think of right now after taking my dog on sprint runs! :S

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.