Manual focus on E-PL1 with 14-42 kit lens

Alf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As the moment to leave approaches, I am checking that I learned what I am sure will need.

I am going to take some wideangle, available darkness shoots inside dimly lit churches, where the wide end of the trusty 14-42 will be of help alongside longer exposures.

But we all know that this lens struggles in focusing in low light, so I'm looking for help on this issue.

I tried manual focusing by the ring for a while, and would like to know if there are easy ways to reset focus to infinity and to shortest distance - can't find them in the manual.

Hope somone already had this issue and found a working solution?
My plan B are the 16/1.4 and 25/1.4 C-mount lenses, but those are only sharp in the center and vignetting is an issue, and pre-travel funds will cover only the VF-2 (if I find it).

walt_tbay

Mu-43 Veteran
Churches are great subjects to photograph. Let us know how things work out. The only thing I can suggest is focusing in on brighter objects (like stained glass windows), using smaller apertures and a tripod. Sometimes churches don't allow tripods, so I usually bring a small mini-tripod that can be inconspicuously be set up on pews or other surfaces. Also, I would normally bring my manual focus Canon 28mm f2 or Canon 50mm f1.2 in those type of low light conditions.

Here's an example of a hand held shot I took of the ceiling of Notre Dame Cathedral in Old Montreal.

Attachments

• Notre Dame Interior.jpg
    Notre Dame Interior.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 413

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
good topic, i think maybe a quick reset would be having the camera operate in Single Focus + Manual mode, so you focus on something easy and close, take over with the manual control, and then to reset, half-press the shutter button again to reapply the Single Focus.
That's all I can think of right now after taking my dog on sprint runs! :S

Latest threads

Top Bottom