Manual focus om-d series

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jessestr, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Hi all

So I'm planning to get an E-M10 next week or so. Not going to buy any m43 lenses yet, but just use my Leica lens on it.
    Does anyone here use it as a manual focus camera? How good does it work? Is it reliable? Is it fast?

Many thanks

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have 6 manual focus lenses that I occasionally use. The E-M10 can be set up so that manual focus can be easy to use. I personally prefer the auto-focus. Almost all of my M4/3 lenses are lighter than the manual focus glass. I have no experience with Leica lenses though.

3. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Do you experience problems with misfocusing?

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    It depends on the lens, and on how careful I am when focusing.

This was taken with the Olympus 50mm f/1.8. The spider web filament is in focus, so I can't be too unsatisfied with the focus here. I have no idea what aperture I was using, one problem with a fully manual lens.

14401368337_51d786dc07_b.
    M1019088
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr​

• Like Like x 2
  5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
  6. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks. Looks way better than Fuji's focus peaking. I had their X-T1 to review and it was really difficult. With the three options they provided. All out of focus. Even when magnified en being very careful.

But one of my first cam's was a Nex and it worked pretty good.

Does it still work good when stopped down?

7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Haven't actually tried Oly focus peaking myself but have read elsewhere on this forum that it works better stopped down; fwiw.

8. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    Oly focus peaking is OK! It works good in most situation but I had some problem when it is very sunny. I only tried with white colour for areas in fokus. It can be changed to black but I havn't tried that yet. I use it together with Samyang 7,5 and Tamron 90/2,8 marco.

9. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have used rangefinder lenses on my u4/3 bodies quite a bit. My favorites being the Voigtländer ltm 50/1.5 Nokton and 75/2.5 Color Heliar. I also use my collection of Nikon F mount lenses. My favorite body to use with adapted lenses is the GX7. The excellent focus peaking enables precise manual focus.

10. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    You think the GX7 is better than the EM10 for manual focus? As it's the thing I'll mostly do.
    Will get some 17 or 25 mm later on for autofocus... But not necessary just yet.

11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I pretty much only use manual focus lenses with my Oly EM5. The two most used lenses are a Canon FD 400mm f/4.5 and Lester Dine 105mm f/2.8 macro. Here is a link to my website. Most of the photos were taken with my EM5 (some taken with the my old Fuji X-E1) and 99% are with manual focus lenses. http://ronnie-cole.artistwebsites.com/

I find manual focus with the EM5 to pretty fast and not that much of a problem really.

Ronnie

12. my2girls

my2girls New to Mu-43

May 2, 2014
    the focus peaking with manual lenses on the ep5 works fantastic. you assign the fn button to peaking and works great. again, it works even better when stopped down.

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't bother with focus peaking (E-M5) as I found it is not anymore effective than just using 7x-10x 'normal' focus assist tool (the zoomy window thingy). I link the focus assist tool to the top button for quick access.

CV 25mm F0.95, Leica 50mm F1 and various cmount F0.95 lenses are some work to get good focus put it is possible. Longer focal lengths are harder. Nikon 85mm F1.4 is pretty tricky but with speedbooster much better.

Leica 35mm F2 with speedbooster is pretty easy to focus if the stupid aperture ring would just stay put (that thing moves too easily on my lens).

100mm F2.8 is pretty easy compared to 50mm F1.

14. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I also tend to mostly use focus assist. I have my record button set for it. I also have Fn1 set for peak focusing, but I don't use it near as often.

15. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have not used the EM10 so I have no comparison. My eyesight is not what it used to be so I use focus peaking quite a bit. I find it to be well implemented on the GX7 (and GH4 that I tried out). In my experience the GX7 is wonderful with adapted lenses. It is very close to the 35mm rangefinder cameras I used to shoot. It is very traditional feeling with the focus and aperture rings on the adapted lens and the shutter speed controlled with the top (called the front dial by Panasonic) knob. The best advice I can give is to try manual focus on several cameras and choose the one that works best for you.

Mike