1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manual focus macro without VF-2 - yea or nay

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by russell, Dec 28, 2010.

1. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    I have read conflicting views on this topic, scattered through dozens of threads I have read with great interest since discovering this forum :thumbup:. However, they are not specific to particular shooting scenarios, so that perhaps explains the discrepancy.

My main interest is in macro photography, where you are taking your time already, so the issue is not whether MF can be done quickly, just whether it can be done accurately.

I would like to know, from those with experience trying to do macro work, is it really a viable proposition to attempt this with an E-P1 and adapted MF lenses?

What about on an E-PL1 (without VF-2)? I have read that the E-PL1 LCD is somehow clearer than the E-P1 despite having the same resolution.

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    You can do macro without the VF-2 either with the E-P2 or the E-PL1
    I have used both the E-P2 and E-PL1 for macro using just the LCD.
    The image zoom while in MF is excellent and here the E-PL1 is the easiest to implement MF with zoom.

When in zoom mode the image is zoomed in so much that you loose an overall view which can give a feeling of being lost so you need to ensure you are on the target before you shoot

Some LCD glare at times is the only other downside

The E-PL1 LCD is 2.7" so appears sharper

3. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

I have an E-PL1 and adapted Konica Hexanon 55mm macro which I use with both extension tubes and 2X Teleconverter.
    I have held it in front of me in natural light and been able to capture insects and flowers etc simply by rocking slightly back and forward while checking the LCD. It works okay but there will be a lot of missed focus shots. The LCD is hard to see well in bright light.

When I want to get really close I prefer to use the flash (on board E-PL1) with a DIY snoot and diffuser and monopod or tripod and the VF-2. The viewfinder is really good for this.
    Not necessary at first, but you will want one later...

4. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    All pictures in this gallery (except the photo gear pics) were shot through adapted lenses using manual focus on LCD, without the EVF.

E-PL1 Outdoor Tests - a set on Flickr

Ironically, I have the VF-2 which I marvel at. But in the field -- the looong eye relief of focusing on LCD is much more kind to my back (by not having to squat and peep through the EVF). Go for it -- certainly more than doáble.

5. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Wow -- you can say that again!

4848834468_bba2634f49_z_d.

6. TOKINA

TOKINA New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2010
    From my experience focusing without VF-2 is possible and works fine.
    However the same job done with vf-2 is easier:smile:
    With my arms straightened (while focusing and framing through LCD) I am never sure if I don't "shorten" them a bit in between focusing and the shot.