1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

manual focus lens focusing experience on GF/GX body

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sun12321, Mar 27, 2013.

1. sun12321

sun12321 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2010
    Hi, I found my mf take a long time to get an accurate focused image in Pany system. For example pany body with any mf lens, I usually tap the screen for the focus area first and do the focus, after that the "moment" is gone. Any idea to speed up the MF in MF lens?

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I find that using the clip on EVF helps a lot on my GF1. Manual focus on the LCD is a slow affair, at least for me.
    Whichever viewing method you use, it helps to open the lens up to the widest aperture when focusing, then stop down right before taking the shot.

3. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Are you shooting some sort of action with MF?

Two general tips:
    1. LCD screen resolution makes MF easier. My GF3 only has 460K dots on the LCD screen so it's a bit hard to do MF on it. A newer body would make it easier.
    2. You can also train you eye a bit by looking at lots of photos at 100% magnification. That helps train your eye to see if it's in focus without even needing to magnify. It's only 80% accurate this way though, the last 20% still requires a focus assist.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    On the GX1, compose your shot then hit the left arrow (box comes up in viewfinder/lcd) then hit center button for zoom. Fine Tune then simply hit shutter release.

5. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    It sounds like the OP is shooting a moving subject - is that right? If so, I think that's always going to be a little tricky on these cameras. I really like the magnify to focus feature on my GF1 and GX1, at least for non-moving subjects. I've taken some baby pictures with my 7.5mm and it can still work but the FE's depth of field allows me a bit of leeway for those. If you're subject is moving, I think you just need to get the focus close while framing and then zoom in for final focus adjustment right before you are ready to take the shot. It will probably take practice to get that down.

6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I took this shot using manual focus:

8592673235_6069dc0d5c_b.

I moved the aperture to F8, estimated the distance quickly (approximately where deers legs were) then quickly shot.

Using manual focus on moving subjects is hard, but not impossible. Shooting basketball, you can focus on the rim and let the action come to you. Same holds true for the foul-line.

It's difficult, but *not* impossible.

7. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    +1

Great tip (pre-setting focus point). Using manual focus can be more difficult, but you can really help yourself by pre-visualizing and setting yourself up for the right moment rather than trying to react and catch-up to a fast moving situation.

8. sun12321

sun12321 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2010
    If i do magnification all the time on lcd, it is very hard to catch my subject. Then I need to go back normal screen. It just not very user friendly.

9. sun12321

sun12321 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2010
    I tried that before it works.
    But small aperture will lost the benefit of bokeh in large aperture and the speed of metering :dash2::dash2::dash2:

10. sun12321

sun12321 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2010
    Thanks, but it is a bit slow even for a cat. For example, I am using 25mm f0.95 @1.4, when i found the cat is coming, i start hit the left arrow, then I hit the center button - at this point I lost the cat already. :frown:

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    AF is popular for a reason. :smile:

12. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    This is how I shoot when using OM glass on my GX1 or GH2:

- prefocus
    - press thumbwheel to see enlarged field and fine - focus
    - press thumbwheel and adjust exposure if necessary
    - recompose and shoot

I guess this is the fastest procedure with all manual lenses.

I can't remember if I assigned the manual focus assist to the thumbwheel or that it does it automagically when you mount a legacy lens.
    Turning the wheel when in focus mode will change the enlargement of the focus aid.

edit 2: I just checked and compared this on both cameras and the GX1 even does a "picture in picture" a bit similar to the focusing aid of my old OM-1 :smile: