1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Manual focus is much easier than I thought

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nianys, Aug 12, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Sure, it cannot compete with AF for reliability, but it's much, much easier than I initially found. I first tried it with the GX-1 sans EVF... That was pretty tricky. However, after getting both LVF2 and a G3 I now have 2 potentially EVF equipped bodies, and manual lenses have just become a lot of fun.
    For those of you who tried focus peaking, how further improved is it ?
    Do you think we may see this feature in a future m4/3 body ?
    I can't upload picture from my vacation location, but will next week when I get home. I got some pretty awesome shots with the FD135/2.5 and am really looking forward to getting more legacy glass.

2. chicks

chicks Mu-43 All-Pro

The Canon FD 135/2.5 was my first thrift store lens purchase, all of $4. Figured I would sell it at a profit, searched for value, and stumbled upon :43:. Been here ever since. Here's one of my first shots with the 135, before I got the EVF from a member here. Wouldn't shoot without the EVF now.

1342395731418.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Coming from "old school" film viewfinders, I prefer them for manual focus. :smile:

As an owner of both MFT & NEX systesm, IMHO NEX focus peaking trumps MFT capabilities when it comes to manual focus. :redface:

4. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Oh my God, very jealous of this shot !! I'm super pleased with the lens, paid 78€ for it, delivered, in very beautiful condition. I plan on using it a lot for portraits. I'm gonna buy a very fast 50 (1.4 most likely) for indoor shots.
    Very curious about focus peaking and NEX, I admit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Manual focus is not for me. I've gone and bought legacy lenses during two different times and gave it a solid shot. There's no doubt that the photos come out nicely when the time is put into it, but I found that I was focusing (no pun intended) too much on the MF and not the rest of the aspects of photography.

For me, now, I just like to let the camera focus on what I want, and then I can focus (no pun intended... I swear!) on the other things.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I find that if I have to take the time to manually focus, I pay more attention to all the aspects that I need to attend to, like exposure, framing, etc. Just different working methods. I grew up doing manual focus, so it seems more natural to me and helps me get into the swing of things, to THINK about the picture I'm taking. That said, I do prefer the viewfinders of my old film SLR's or a rangefinder for focusing manually, and have the auto-focus native lenses on my mft cameras a lot. I'm happy I have both to use, though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Night and day. I've been taking a lot of shots side by side with my GF2 and NEX 3. It takes a while to MF with the GF2. I can do it in less than a second on the NEX.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.