Manual focus is much easier than I thought

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by nianys, Aug 12, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Sure, it cannot compete with AF for reliability, but it's much, much easier than I initially found. I first tried it with the GX-1 sans EVF... That was pretty tricky. However, after getting both LVF2 and a G3 I now have 2 potentially EVF equipped bodies, and manual lenses have just become a lot of fun.
    For those of you who tried focus peaking, how further improved is it ?
    Do you think we may see this feature in a future m4/3 body ?
    I can't upload picture from my vacation location, but will next week when I get home. I got some pretty awesome shots with the FD135/2.5 and am really looking forward to getting more legacy glass.
  2. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    The Canon FD 135/2.5 was my first thrift store lens purchase, all of $4. Figured I would sell it at a profit, searched for value, and stumbled upon :43:. Been here ever since. Here's one of my first shots with the 135, before I got the EVF from a member here. Wouldn't shoot without the EVF now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Coming from "old school" film viewfinders, I prefer them for manual focus. :smile:

As an owner of both MFT & NEX systesm, IMHO NEX focus peaking trumps MFT capabilities when it comes to manual focus. :redface:
  4. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Oh my God, very jealous of this shot !! I'm super pleased with the lens, paid 78€ for it, delivered, in very beautiful condition. I plan on using it a lot for portraits. I'm gonna buy a very fast 50 (1.4 most likely) for indoor shots.
    Very curious about focus peaking and NEX, I admit.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Manual focus is not for me. I've gone and bought legacy lenses during two different times and gave it a solid shot. There's no doubt that the photos come out nicely when the time is put into it, but I found that I was focusing (no pun intended) too much on the MF and not the rest of the aspects of photography.

For me, now, I just like to let the camera focus on what I want, and then I can focus (no pun intended... I swear!) on the other things.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I find that if I have to take the time to manually focus, I pay more attention to all the aspects that I need to attend to, like exposure, framing, etc. Just different working methods. I grew up doing manual focus, so it seems more natural to me and helps me get into the swing of things, to THINK about the picture I'm taking. That said, I do prefer the viewfinders of my old film SLR's or a rangefinder for focusing manually, and have the auto-focus native lenses on my mft cameras a lot. I'm happy I have both to use, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Night and day. I've been taking a lot of shots side by side with my GF2 and NEX 3. It takes a while to MF with the GF2. I can do it in less than a second on the NEX.