1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manual focus assist

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Superstriker#8, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    How good is the manual focus assist on the e-pm1? On my G5 it's pretty much useless.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There is no visual or audible focus feedback when you acquire focus in manual mode. You have to look at the screen or EVF. A magnify mode is available..

You need a native 4/3 lens, MF assist enabled, and must be in MF mode. Then turning the focus ring on the lens will trigger magnify mode. You can rotate the dial to select 5X-14X magnification.

If you are using a legacy lens, the above won't work. You have two ways to enter magnify mode.on an EPM1. One is to program the REC button. The other is to program the INFO button. Second process saves the REC button for other uses, including video, but take a couple more button pushes to invoke.

Focus in magnify mode is not hard with lenses in the 28 to 85mm range using the LCD, Longer lenses tend to show camera shake, so it's a matter of finesse, or a steady mount, or maybe an EVF. The magnified area is what was withib the green focus box in the viewfinder/LCD..
    Same process on all Oly cameras. I rate it a "C+". Having an audible beep would help.

3. Superstriker#8

Jun 24, 2013
    How good is the view quality?

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The view uses the full screen on the LCD, but once you're there, I think it will be like any other M43 camera. All of us manual focus users, except those with focus peaking and maybe the key line trick end up looking at similar magnified views.

If you don't like the G5 for this, the EPM1 will not be good for you. Isn't the G5 is far better? I thought you can press the touch screen where you want the focus box, and it will expand to show you a magnified view? And you can tilt it and look down, something not possible with the EPM1?

5. Superstriker#8

Jun 24, 2013
    The G5 view quality just plain sucks unless you use the highest magnification.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Too bad. Bad light and/or a crap lens with poor resolution and contrast can make make for a bad image in the LCD/EVF too.They can still be focused though, but I'm almost always at 14X magnification.

7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    For me, the view magnification depends greatly on the focal length of the lens...if I'm using a long lens, magnifying the image 14x just makes the preview way too shaky (due to hand movement)...so I usually use the 5x or 7x with my O75 and 10 or 14x with my 9-18. :)

8. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    You do know that you can switch ibis on for shutter half press while staying in magnified view? Framing then is steady as a rock, makes focusing long lenses a breeze.
    Half press is under C, and close up mode under D (2nd page).
    There's just one problem with those settings: they need lots of battery, but can't be saved under mysets (manual p111). So you have to set them up every time you use MF lenses. Unless you don't mind running out of battery after like 300 shots.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I do know that, and the battery life issue is the reason I don't have that turned on. It would be a neat feature, but with all the long exposure/night photography I do (along with LENR, etc) when I'm travelling I blow through one or two batteries a day...since I can only charge one or at the very most two a night (one charger to travel with, and I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night to change batteries), I'm really trying to conserve as much as possible. I rarely miss my DSLRs, but getting 1,000 shots out of a charge at the very worst (and nearly 2,000 when I watched battery consumption) is definitely one thing I miss.