manual focus assist with E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by David, Dec 21, 2011.

1. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011

I have been trying to use the EPM1 to use with legacy lens.

On my EPL1 I set it with one button to magnifying window to
    assist in focusing with manual lens.

Does anyone know how to do this with EPM1 ?

I want to use the video record button - one press to enable the
    magnifying window. But havent found a way to do this yet.

thanks in advance

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes you can program Rec button as "magnify"
    It's in the menu, button function
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Menu => Sprockets => Button/Dial => Button Function => ʘ => Magnify

If you don't see the Sprockets section, then first go to Menu => Wrench => Menu Display, and turn the Sprockets ON.
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Custom menu - button/dial - button function - set to magnify.

Edit: I'm new and slow. :)
  5. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    This works, I just figured it out yesterday... However, unless I'm doind something wrong it takes 2 clicks of the video dot button to get the magnified image. One click just shows the green focal area box.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Correct. First click activates, second click actually does the magnification. When you have the green box up, you can move the box and even change its size (with the INFO button) to define what you want to magnify.

You'll get used to it. If it was a one-touch magnification, then you would only get a center magnification and that may not be what you want to get your critical focus on. If you're trying to get critical focus with a wide aperture, then recomposing would not be an option and would probably defeat the purpose of a fine magnified view.

Also, when you are in that magnifier state with the green box, the position and size of that box will actually determine your Single-Point Autofocus characteristics. This allows you to use a small box and get more accurate AF.
  7. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    What I don't understand is why there isn't a beep or something when focus is achieved. It knows when an AF lens is in focus.
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    That's an excellent question.

I would suppose it has to do with the fact that a manual focus lens is not communicating with the camera. In and of itself that would not prevent the sensor from going through the in focus contrast check, but since that's tied to the feedback signals that drive the focusing motor, they probably just turn the whole routine off to save power when no lens is detected.

Actually it would be a pretty simple thing to provide an option to temporarily decouple the two functions (contrast detection, and motor drive signals) or add a special manual focus contrast detection only sub-routine. The tricky part would be getting around the need to zero in on the focus plane by going incrementally past it in two directions to calculate the local maximum contrast like the AF lenses do. That's essentially what the human computer is doing by eye as you manually adjust your focus.
  9. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    I go the bottun working now. I can put on my legacy lens on the EPM1 .
    THanks guys. great response and a great forum.
  10. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Is it possible to do the focussing (assist) without, changing the rec. button?

11. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    pm-1 focus assist

works like a charm, thanks everyone, thanks a million!!!
  12. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    works really well. You just have to get use to it.

now have to find some really nice manual lens.
  13. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    have the classic series 1 viv 70-210 f3.5 (tokina 1984) OM mount need a good 35mm or 50mm macro and i will be satisfied (for now).
  14. dimuthu206

dimuthu206 New to Mu-43

May 22, 2013
    Works nicely. Thanks :thumbup:
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There are 2 ways. 1) Use an AF lens so you can use the automatic AF assist, or 2) upgrade to the E-PM2 so you have a second Fn button. ;)

That is unfortunately, the one sore point of the E-PM1... but at least they're starting to address that issue by adding more buttons to newer versions.

Well, I guess there is one more way to do it, and that is to use the Zoom function in the Info screen. It pretty much works the same except that you have to engage and cancel it with the OK button, whereas the magnifier can be canceled with the shutter release. If you do use this function you'll want to remove as many other Info menus as you can to easily access it.

I disable this function when I have the magnifier set to the record button, but I enable Info Zoom when I am using the record button for back-button AF, just as a back-up magnifier. You can set it up by going to Menu => Sprockets => Disp/PC => Info Settings => LV-Info => Zoom => On. Turn Off the rest of the settings you don't need, then when you press Info you can get the green box for magnification, leaving the Record button free for something else.