Manual flash or TTL flash?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by st3v4nt, Jan 24, 2012.

1. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    After sometimes now I need to use flash with my m4/3 and 4/3 camera.
    But due to the price concern and availability I hve to use non-olympus flash.

Now I have two choice:

1. A 3rd party Non TTL flash such as Yong Nuo or Godox
    2. A 3rd party TTL flash such as Nissin or Metz ...

Just how troubling is using non TTL flash would be?
    It seem very straight forward to use manual flash,
    but am I missing something with manual flash?

Also I try to look out in compability chart of Nissin Di466 but can't find E-1 in list. Did anyone ever try nissin Di466 with E-1 ?

2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Do you need FP/HSS sync? AFAIK, this only works with TTL flashes. On my Panasonic bodies, the fastest shutter speed is 1/160 with manual flashes, so shooting in broad daylight is challenging.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I prefer to use manual as you have full control over things. I do however only use flash off camera so this is the why the pereference for manual.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Thanks for all the input guys it looks like I may need to think about it a little bit longer.

I guess all I need is just a flash that I can use to light the scene indoor whenever I use slow lenses. It also need to be compatible with my current camera EPL-1, GF-1 and especially E-1 which don't have built-in flash. I don't want to waste money for some function I rarely used. I'm pretty sure I will rarely need fill-in flash for portrait in daylight unless it's very shaded low light place. In fact my 14, 20, 45, and even 55 mm lens still serve the purpose in low light condition so far.

I thought I will try the manual flash as it is very cheap, and I don't know how much I will need TTL function. Hence I ask the question would I be missing much by using non-TTL flash?

As usual I try not to use Olympus accessories yet since the stock is rare and the price too high tough the quality sometimes reason the price.
  6. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    Manual flash where flash-subject distance is fixed between shots.

TTL flash where flash-subject distance varies between shots.

Camera-subject distance is not an issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Hi guys thanks for all the input, I conclude my flash quest with Nissin Di466 for four thirds, it works flawlessly with all my 4/3 and m4/3 camera (E-1, GF-1, EPL-1) in TTL, Manual and slave mode. It looks equal with Olympus FL-36 it helps a lot with my Macro shooting and E-1 indoor. I got it for about US$100 50% cheaper then FL-36.

Now in my search I also find 3rd party macro ring flash light, but sadly all of it made for Canon and Nikon, I wonder how compatible if they are used in olympus body? I'm afraid going to fry the circuit if the voltage is to high.