Manual Flash Mode Control Issue with FL-600R & OM-D E-M5 MKII?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G1Reflector_949, Nov 7, 2015.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Why is there no manual flash control in SCP (or anywhere in any of the camera menus) when I attach the Olympus FL-600R to my OM-D E-M5 MKII?

I'm not sure if this was always the case as I usually shoot Flash via TTL and not Manual, but I'm wanting to get more consistent results and more control by trying to use manual flash mode.

The only way I can adjust the flash power is to do it on the back of the FL-600R directly, the camera offers no control for the FL-600R flash in Manual Flash mode. I can fire manual flash and adjust via the FL-600R directly, but it's kind of pain to take your eye from VF and have to manipulate another set of controls not on the camera to adjust flash manually.. should be able to do it through the SCP. I don't get it?!!:frown:

All the other flash modes are available (Flash, Auto Flash, Flash Off, Red Eye Slow, Slow, Slow 2).. Manual flash option is greyed out.. what up?!

I have no problems using TTL mode and have full control with flash compensation through SCP (and other methods though menus).

I can have manual flash control with the included FL-LM3 though the camera, however.

Anybody might know why this might be the case?
  2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Surprisingly this seems to be by design. In the manual for the E-M1 and E-M5, there is no option for manual control via the camera for Program, Aperture, Shutter, or Manual shooting modes when using flashes other than the one that came with the camera.