Manual control radio flash triggers

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by D MATIC, Oct 5, 2015.

1. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    What are some flash triggers that allow for manual power control from the flash trigger itself. No TTL.
    • Yongnuo 560 flash with Yongnuo 560 tx trigger
    • Godox 850 flash with Godox ft16s trigger
    • Cactus rf60 flash with Cactus v6 trigger
    • Nissin di700 flash with Nissin Air Commander trigger
    Are there any more than these?

I'm new when it comes to flash photography, but I have been using a pair of Nissin Di466's with a cheap radio trigger. It works perfect BUT everytime I want to adjust the flash output I have to go to the flash itself to adjust it which has become annoying. I'd like to upgrade, but not sure if its worth it. I don't do flash photography often one reason having to go to the flash to adjust power. I know there is a RC mode for olympus/lumix but it requires line of site which can be problematic.

2. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Godox's FT16s transmitter is compatible across all their manual lights, including Witstro and their studio lights.
    Should you move onto studio lighting, or just wish to use the greater power of the Witstro, you can simply add them to the Ving 850

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I don't know of other systems available, but I whole heartedly recommend the Godox 850 with triggers.

The 850 is very well made and the triggers allow for multiple groups so you can control different lights at different levels all from the camera. The lithium ion batteries are fast and I've never run one down in use.

They're available branded as Neewer and Adorama sells them with the Flashpoint brand. The batteries and triggers are the same for all.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
  5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Godox is kind of like the Samyang of flashes. :) I've seen the Godox Vings and Wistros rebranded as Cheetah Lights, Adorama's Flashpoint, B&H's Interfit Strobies or Bolt flashes, Calumet Genesis, and Neewer.

The best review I've seen on the Wistros is the one from Flash Havoc.

6. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I use Witstro variants in my wedding work an awful lot. I can post examples if you wish, although there's plenty of examples on my weddings site

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Radio Poppers. I use them. Just as reliable for me as Pocket Wizards at a fraction of the cost.

8. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Are you using the Radio Poppers JR2? I'm a little confused how they work. Do they work with "any" flash? I have a pair of Nissin Di466 (pin layout for fourthirds) and I cant find anywhere on their site if it's compatible. How does it control the flash output? Manually? or somehow using TTL from the camera?

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The JR2 will manually remotely control Nikon or Canon ttl flashes. The Radio Popper PX's also allow ttl control of Nikon and Canon ttl flashes.

Fred

10. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I've had the 560's for about a year and personally I think they're great. I've used them a lot and they've been very reliable. Probably the only downside for me is you can't wake them up remotely, and the TX is a little large on my PL3.

For me not having to adjust the power on the flash was a revelation.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The JRx units use the quench pin on the flash units to tell the flash what the power/duration should be. In order for them to work, you'd need an RPCube or third party version(I use the ones offerd by FlashZebra). They should work with any Canon/Nikon flash that is TTL. I even have an old Nikon SB-22 that I can control the power on with the Radio Popper. Generally that flash is only full power in manual mode, so this gives it a little more usefulness!