Manual apature and Apature Priority on mu4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jon Arklay, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jon Arklay

Jon Arklay New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2011
    Hi everyone, my first post, thanks for having me.

I am a Pentax user and was just about to upgrade from my K10d to a K-5. But I have been seduced by micro 4/3, the GH2 to be precise. One of the selling points is the voigtlander 25mm f0.95, not just this lens, but with the capability of the GH2, Panasonic moving its Pro Video Cams towards mu 4/3 and the likes of Cosina building top quality glass gives me faith in the formats medium term future.

So, the question... Will a GH2 meter and set shutter speed in Aperture Priority with when a manual aperture ring lens is stopped down? or do will I have to meter using the viewfinder "needle" and adjust shutter speed my self. This is not a problem for and old hack like me who grew up on OM2 and OM4's, but it would be SOOOO nice to concentrate on framing, focusing and the scene in general and forget shutter speed (and use the excellent modern pattern metering that is type of body offers)

Love the site by the way, and can't wait to get my GH2 and hit the night time streets.

Thanks, Jon

• Like Like x 1
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Jon,

In aperture priority with a manual focus lens your GH2 will happily set a shutter speed for itself as you adjust the lens aperture, it will also happily accept you dialling in any under/over exposure settings, isn't modern technology marvellous.
    Oh, and welcome to the site, enjoy.

Barrie

3. Jon Arklay

Jon Arklay New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2011
    Marvellous indeed

Thanks very much for the fast reply Barrie, good news in deed.

That has been one of my frustrations with my K10d. I have loads of lovely lenses but have to meter by pressing a button prior to the shutter release. So perhaps you could enlighten me on the availability on K mount adaptor for micro 4/3.

Thanks again, Jon

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Sorry Jon, that's outside my scope of experience, not being a user of Pentax legacy lenses. Obviously there are plenty advertised on ebay, but as to a particular manufacturer you'll have to rely on others on the site to come up with their personal recommendations, some people might have had bad experiences with a certain manufacturer.
    There have been several threads on adapters over the months so a search through the forum on adapted lenses might get you some more information.

Barrie

5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    The question is interesting and the answer is yes to a certain extent. I use PK lenses on the G1 you need some EV correction ( usually i am on -1 ) except that it is dead steady even with the aperture closed further than F8 ( yes yes i was on pentax before :p ). The fact the compensation needed is constant it is very easy to correct that. The metering itself is done differently it is as well center only as on the K10 but it is a true metering through the lens so you close the aperture the speed reduces no stupid algorithm ( over exposure under exposure ) . I also forgot to add the MF assist function which allows you to magnify a specific part of the picture so you get a spot on focus , this thing is priceless. I can only add that it is truly an endless fun with legacy lenses and Micro 4/3.

6. Jon Arklay

Jon Arklay New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2011
    Thank you iliakolstov, I am delighted to here your experience.

I now appreciate why the old manual only glass has become expensive on Ebay. I wish I had taken (and kept) a few more classics when I went digital. My old Zuiko 85 f2 was an amazing lens, would have made (and still would if I could still get a mint one for less than silly money) an amazing medium tele on the GH2. But still so many opportunities to play. I still actually prefer to make my pictures with manual lenses, just not so easy on my K10 as it was on my LX or OM4. I find I do truly "make" the image, rather than take it. So keep an eye out on here and in a few months I might actually be posting work of the quality I used to get before I went digital. Not that I blame digital for my crap results, just the lack of involvement with fly by wire focus ans lack of apature rings.

Thanks again and keep enjoying that old "radio active" glass.

Jon

7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Jon and Hello from Scotland :smile: