1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

mannequin to practice lighting.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by hillwalkinggirl, Dec 2, 2014.

1. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    I need a mannequin head to practice portrait lighting. Any suggestions please as to best budget plastic adjustable head. Should I buy a short neck or a long necked one?

2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'd try to get the most realistic neck possible (not a Barbie neck) at your local beauty supply shop or wig shop. They might sell you a used one that could save you some money. I had one for years that I picked up at a yard sale. Sorry but I gave it away years ago after my flash experiments were done. They used to sell a beauty toy for young girls that had a mannequin head in the set. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Whatever you get, get a mannequin that faces forward and has a straight pose. I have a "posed" bust of a lady looking over her shoulder, chin bit raised, which is good for only one lighting scheme. Don't limit yourself. I got mine on a whim, at an antique store that doesn't take returns, and the uselessness of it only hit me on my way home. It's been sitting in my garage ever since. Think first, then think again, and then whip out your card and pay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    It seems that every month is so, some department store closes its store in town and has a final sale. An acquaintance of mine makes custom costumes for period actors and has bought several mannequins from stores that were about to close (or, by contacting the headquarters, from stores that have already closed and are awaiting renovation).

• Like Like x 1
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Ebay is your friend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. I'm thinking of begging for old training models at my next visit to the hairdressers.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What, you going to try and find one of these old girls?

hairdresser-no-copyright.

8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    ..... I've got something like one of these.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's when smoothing out the skin in PP is really needed! :wink: