1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manfrotto Modo Pocket Tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DarrenG, Jan 4, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Can't see any other threads on this little gadget here? It looks like a genuinely useful pocket table tripod with a design that allows it to be left permanently attached.

Has anyone here used one, is it worth having?

[​IMG]

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had one... Worked well with my LX3 except one problem.. really bad one...

One of the pins of the hinges literally just slid out.... I have no idea where it went. It was only a year or so old but rendered it completely useless.

I'm still divided on whether or not it is worth getting a replacement. You can't turn the camera on its side or adjust for horizon. I ended up using a pocket table top tripod instead. But it was neat.

3. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    I had exactly the same problem with mine - great gadget but badly made. Fortunately I got mine from Amazon and got a full refund (which I used to get another one, so let's see how that goes!).

Also, works fine on a G1 (which I thought might be too heavy).

4. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmm, so the hinge pins are not secured in place in any way? Unusual for Manfrotto to miss a trick like that?

5. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Mine shot out at the top of Carnavon Castle never to be seen again. Crummy design. I think it just works loose after a while (I hadnt had it that long at the time).

Get it from Amazon with their free put policy - no real risk!

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What makes this better than just sitting the camera on the table or whatever?

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can adjust the camera to point upwards or downwards.

8. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    And that tiny bit of height makes a big difference - if you stand the camera on a table without even a small tripod you either need to put it on the edge or you get a lot of table in shot.

9. xyzzy

xyzzy Mu-43 Regular

I tried it in as shop and got a gorillapod instead. Much more versatile, although also much bigger.

10. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    That's the problem, I have a Gorillapod too but I rarely carry it with me unless I know I may need it.

11. xyzzy

xyzzy Mu-43 Regular

If portability is the issue, you could consider a bean bag. more versatile and (if homemade, some cloth and coars sand or rice as well as needle and thread needed) much less expensive. It also lets you adjust all 3 angles instead of just two. You could make several, suited to camera or situation.

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I use a "The POD" in green. I also have the cube for lens support, but don't need it as frequently.

camera%20matching%20green%202009.jpg

13. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Most of the time, I think the most convenient is handheld (barely useful in dark situation though). Screwing the camera is like wasting time especially if only for one so-so shot.

That said, I had a cheap table tripod that helps
    Small enough to leave and forget inside one of the camera bag's pocket.

14. randyang

randyang New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2012
    True. I find gorrilapod to be bulgy and isn't really comparable to this card size tripod (quadpod in this case).

15. srivastava

srivastava Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    England
    Useful info