Manfrotto Modo Pocket Tripod

DarrenG

Mu-43 Regular
Can't see any other threads on this little gadget here? It looks like a genuinely useful pocket table tripod with a design that allows it to be left permanently attached.

Has anyone here used one, is it worth having?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had one... Worked well with my LX3 except one problem.. really bad one...

One of the pins of the hinges literally just slid out.... I have no idea where it went. It was only a year or so old but rendered it completely useless.

View attachment 155274

I'm still divided on whether or not it is worth getting a replacement. You can't turn the camera on its side or adjust for horizon. I ended up using a pocket table top tripod instead. But it was neat.

Ben

Mu-43 Regular
I had exactly the same problem with mine - great gadget but badly made. Fortunately I got mine from Amazon and got a full refund (which I used to get another one, so let's see how that goes!).

Also, works fine on a G1 (which I thought might be too heavy).

DarrenG

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm, so the hinge pins are not secured in place in any way? Unusual for Manfrotto to miss a trick like that?

Ben

Mu-43 Regular
Mine shot out at the top of Carnavon Castle never to be seen again. Crummy design. I think it just works loose after a while (I hadnt had it that long at the time).

Get it from Amazon with their free put policy - no real risk!

Ben

Mu-43 Regular
And that tiny bit of height makes a big difference - if you stand the camera on a table without even a small tripod you either need to put it on the edge or you get a lot of table in shot.

xyzzy

Mu-43 Regular
That's the problem, I have a Gorillapod too but I rarely carry it with me unless I know I may need it.
If portability is the issue, you could consider a bean bag. more versatile and (if homemade, some cloth and coars sand or rice as well as needle and thread needed) much less expensive. It also lets you adjust all 3 angles instead of just two. You could make several, suited to camera or situation.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use a "The POD" in green. I also have the cube for lens support, but don't need it as frequently.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

nseika

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lois
Most of the time, I think the most convenient is handheld (barely useful in dark situation though). Screwing the camera is like wasting time especially if only for one so-so shot.

That said, I had a cheap table tripod that helps
Small enough to leave and forget inside one of the camera bag's pocket.

randyang

New to Mu-43
I tried it in as shop and got a gorillapod instead. Much more versatile, although also much bigger.
True. I find gorrilapod to be bulgy and isn't really comparable to this card size tripod (quadpod in this case).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom