Manasquan Reservoir. Images from this summer.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
I spent a decent amount of time here this summer walking, pedaling, and wading in the water, both alone and with my son. I've posted some pics elsewhere on the site, but figured I'd do a thread on it as I'll most certainly continue to return there. Its a nice spot and fairly close.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jdxmzP]50025030033_fc6924b6fc_c.jpg Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jdV2aq]50029257166_e50883e722_c.jpg Manasquan by Glen Brenner, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jdX7u5]50029665292_cc69b3dc52_c.jpg Manasquan by Glen Brenner, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jdWmF3]50029517912_062d83c7c2_c.jpg Manasquan by Glen Brenner, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really nice set.
Not easy to make NJ look that good. :)
Thanks Rich. You know the deal. We have some beautiful areas here.
I'd love to spend a day wandering the northweast corner of the state, but its been busy.

A new problem I've had this year was juggling free time between the cycle and photography. They both suffered a bit from it.

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks Rich. You know the deal. We have some beautiful areas here.
I'd love to spend a day wandering the northweast corner of the state, but its been busy.

A new problem I've had this year was juggling free time between the cycle and photography. They both suffered a bit from it.
Hard to have more than one hobby, always seems like one is being neglected.

j_win

Mu-43 Regular
You should be able to fix those spots in lightroom using the heal or clone tool. Great image too!

I went and shot there one morning recently while visiting my mom in Normandy. Would be cool to have as a local spot.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
Thanks.
I haven't gotten into editing yet. Our home compuper hasn't even been used in several years now. If / when I go there, this is one I'll definitely work with.

I'm in Freehold so it's fairly close.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
I’m surprised how much the place has changed since my regular visits in June / July. Where I was wading in water then, I was on dry land now, and in places there is 50 feet plus of ground to walk on before the water’s edge. I may start spending more time there, as I’m considering entering their fall photo contest.

Comparison shots - 6/28 and a few days ago.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
Rich, depending on what images I can get, I'm thinking I will. My reason for spending a lot of time there earlier this summer was for learning the place and to get two images for their summer photo contest. Also I had a great time bicycling around with my son. My son is one partially to thank for the image from 6/28 that I just posted. He stopped his bike and hopped off to take a closer look at the scene he saw beyond the brush. I entered that and another for the summer theme. I got second place in ametur general photography with the 6/28 image.

They make it very easy to enter- just an unmatted 8x10 print and $5 per entry, maximum of two They mat them for the show so all are matted the same.

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Rich, depending on what images I can get, I'm thinking I will. My reason for spending a lot of time there earlier this summer was for learning the place and to get two images for their summer photo contest. Also I had a great time bicycling around with my son. My son is one partially to thank for the image from 6/28 that I just posted. He stopped his bike and hopped off to take a closer look at the scene he saw beyond the brush. I entered that and another for the summer theme. I got second place in ametur general photography with the 6/28 image.

They make it very easy to enter- just an unmatted 8x10 print and $5 per entry, maximum of two They mat them for the show so all are matted the same.
Nice, glad you got an award. The "sunrise" photo is stunning, that should do well.

I need to get down there my next trip back. It wasn't there when I was living in the area. My brother is only a couple of miles away, so I can sneak out for a while if family gatherings get to be a little much. :)

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
Thanks. I would have considered just getting into the exhibition a win. Second was a huge surprise.

I may consider the sunrise pic, but I'm not sure if it says "fall". I have until the end of November. I'll probably do like in the summer. Scout, photograph, repeat. It seems to be a popular spot for photographers.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
I may need to coin a phrase. Something to the effect of "if you think life is boring and unchanging, try to get a redo of a landscape photo that you previously flubbed...." Each moment is truly its own....
I went back this morning. The weather changed yesterday and blew out all of the smoke haze, but I was hoping that last night's cool temperatures (high 40s) would at least allow some fog to form on the lake. No such luck. It was breezy all night, and upon arriving the sky was perfectly clear, cloudlees, and the lake without fog. The sunrise was boring photography wise. I got a few unremarkable detail shots.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jJ2Lv4] Manasquan reservoir 9/19/20 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jJ6nKu] Manasquan reservoir 9/19/20 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr[/URL]

@RichDesmond A far as using that shot is concerned it somewhat goes against my theory, and plays into it at the same time.
While sunrise / sunset pics are nice, my opinion is that its such an overdone image that one really needs to be technically perfect or stand out in some way to really.... umm.....shine and stand out. I consider them easy content and an easy way to get ooohs and aaahs from the masses. I try for a different take on things.

I like and photograph the sun as well, but with full awareness that its a crowded topic and try for something at least a bit different. I do think the hazy sun shot fits the out of the ordinary spot.

The pics I entered in the summer contest were both a bit different in my opinion, and I'm curious if that may have played into my placing in the exhibit. I'm also curious to see what is in the exhibition, but its not until February.

Whenever I've been at the reservoir at sunrise of sunset, there are always a number of people setting up, getting shots of the sun, then immediately leaving after, missing thar beautiful light on either side of the sun breaking the horizon.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom