1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Managing Power Consumption... OM D E-M5 II?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by larryis1, Apr 20, 2015.

1. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I read a lot about the Quick Sleep (QS) mode for this camera model on this forum. As many members I am caught between the desire to conserve battery power and the flexibility of making menu adjustments here and there without racing the QS activation.

My question to our forum members... do most of you use the Quick Sleep mode (on the last letter menu) to save power, or alternatively do most of you use other menu settings to conserve power (i.e., duration of lit LCD & EVF when not in use and the auto power off features)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Take care, Larry

2. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Quick sleep: No
    Dim LCD: 30 sec
    Sleep: 1 min
    Auto turn off: 30 min

When I go out shooting I mostly keep the LCD facing inwards and shoot thru the EVF. I'd say I get around 250-500 shorts per charge depending on wifi useage and menudiving..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Managing power consumption is a good thing until it compromises your shooting style. Then it makes a lot more sense to just carry an extra battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have quick sleep off and I carry two extra batteries in the inserts that I use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    The quick sleep function was surprising.....in that it was so bad. It shut off immediately after taking a photo and no matter what, it took 3 seconds for the camera to start up again. The start up time for the E-M5II is so different than my E-M1, at least 2 seconds more. So I turned it off for good.

Just order a 2nd or 3rd battery.

• Like Like x 1
  6. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you all for the quick feedback... it looks like the best option is carry two batteries + turn quick sleep off.

7. peteandthira

peteandthira Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 27, 2013
    Quick sleep off, Screen turned inwards, Eye sensor active. The EVF only ever turns on when you put your eye, or any other part of your body, close to the EVF. If you want to use your LCD, hopefully only for awkward low- or high-level shots, then just open it up and it comes on. If you use it for anything else, then get 3 more batteries.

You can then use it like a proper camera instead of looking like a dork, using the LCD all the time.

I get loads of shots using one battery this way.

Carry another one too, just in case you forgot to charge it because it lasts so long.

It's not difficult. You've bought a camera that's designed to look like a 70's OM series. If you use it like one, it'll be just sublime.

8. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thanks... If you hang the camera around your neck with a camera strap, does the EVF turn on when it is close to your body?

9. peteandthira

peteandthira Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 27, 2013
    I would imagine so.

It still has to be the best way though. It is quite quick to wake from sleep with the latest firmware, so if you're wandering around with it round your neck, just half-press the shutter as you bring it up to your eye. The camera is well-worth the rather dismal battery performance.

I just love its looks!

• Agree Agree x 1