Managing different crops in lightroom

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jonlong, Jun 9, 2014.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Quick question. I use Lightroom 5 and, until now, have only processed images for sharing on the web. I am now interested in having images printed, but they will require a different crop to work with the print sizes available. How do you guys deal with maintaining multiple aspect ratios of an image? Do you just duplicate an image in lightroom once it's processed and then crop each one differently? Hopefully this makes sense.

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You can create virtual copies (doesn't duplicate the image and take up memory) and maintain them that way like you referred to.

You can order from places that offer 4:3 crop sized (or custom) prints (adoramapix does 12x9 for example).

Usually when I order prints, I just export the exact dimensions I am printing for something special for that order. If it's smaller casual prints, I might just crop them at the site I order from.

Within the develop module there are presets for different aspect ratios as well (you may well know?) so you don't have to fuss with it later (and yes, create virtual copies of different crops of same image)

3. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks! Sounds like virtual copies will probably work best for me.

4. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I use virtual copies and use the different color codes to denote a certain crop size. That way I can filter the image set by color and only export a certain crop. So if I want to send someone the results of a shoot I would just filter for the color I chose for 3:2, export them, and get 4x6 prints made. I'm not a pro and my lightroom work flow might need work, but if you don't use color labels other ways this method works well for me at least.