Managing collection

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RenaudVL, Aug 23, 2012.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I am face with a dilemma, I have been negligent. I have 3 drives with photo collections on them. 2 of them were the image of the other as a backup system. Where I was negligent is that for some reason I lost track of which is the original and which is the backup and I have dumped pictures on both of them and lost control…

I have tried to import the content of one to the other and notice that some picture would not import because they share the same name and are different pictures. Probably do to the fact that I mostly use used cameras and endup with same file names.

The 3rd drive is my ongoing drive and from time to time I would import the collection to the drive I thought was my original and again my procedure was negligent because some time I did a "move to" and some time did a "copy to"…

Now I have 3 drives with 3 different set of photos and none have a complete collection. I am talking about many thousands of pictures, some in folders some not…

Any suggestions on how to manage this mess?

Thanks

Renaud

2. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    I'd say your best bet is to use some sort of photo management program on a fresh drive. Import all of the photos from all drives with the software set to not import duplicates. I know Lightroom is intelligent about duplicate detection and looks at more than just the file name (capture date/time, file size, etc).

What software did you use in getting in to this mess?

3. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

total commander and date picture taken

All the photos will carry the date they were taken. I think if you want to be neat about it, and you might want to be, get to one and start sorting all the files on that one with date picture taken folders. then move to the next and start merging where the blanks show up.
    I like total commander because you can synchronize folders. it helps with managing and sorting.

hope that helps. good luck.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good suggestion about dates. What operating system are you using? I know Windows 7 libraries are pretty useful for creating folders by date. Light room is good as well, though I'm not sure what effect screening for duplicates will have since you have originals and edited copies.

5. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks every one,
    My OS is Win7 and I do have Lightroom.
    I will try sorting them by date and migrate everything to a new drive using Lightroom...
    I will let you know how it goes...

Thanks again

Renaud

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good luck - I'm curious to find out your results. :cool:

7. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hey All,

Ok it has been over a year since posting this question.
    Now I have install LR5, some of the files were nor recognized by LR4.
    I have a brand new 2TB drive reade to receive the more organized collection.
    I did find some file management tutorial on YouTube and on the Adobe web site. But they don't quite cover what I want to do.

I am a bit at a lost on what is my next step.
    So far I have just imported all and select do not import duplicate.

Should I import them now on the new drive as I am sorting or should I just create categories and sort them as such?

Any thought ans suggestions welcome...

Renaud

8. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I have learned a lot from the tutorials of George Jardine. I started with his series on the Library and have been able to get a handle on my photos. I have now started the Develop tutorials and am very happy that I discovered this guy.