Man I'm jealous of this donation

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
There was a shop owner that had sadly passed a few months ago, after a couple months his late wife donated a large portion of the store to the college I work for. The professor who accepted the donation basically looked at a couple of the boxes and noticed the inkjet paper and decided to take it in (if it was mostly just old enlargers and such he would not have likely took it).

I was tasked with going thru all the boxes, organizing it, and making up an inventory of everything so that they could get the appropriate tax credit.

First few boxes it was mostly retail pre-cut matte frames, mounting boards, foam cores, trimmers, etc, but then I noticed the inkjet paper of the same stuff most of the students are required to use (Epson Ultra Premium Luster and Glossy), so that was a nice find, then metallic paper, and so forth.

And then I got to the film stuff..... SOOOOOO MUCH PAPER AND FILM and I'm squirming going I want to re-enroll in PO126 so I can shoot it up lol.

Oh, and other than the two packs Portra 160 (2016), none of that is expired.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I forsee some very very happy students when the fall and winter semester starts and they're told they don't need to hurry up and buy their first several rolls or pack of paper.

After taking the above pic, and writing up the inventory (and estimating it's value), I boxed them all up much more organized.

I also inventoried a bunch of bulbs (mostly photo floods and specialty), most of what is left are darkroom consumables like kim wipes, trimmers, easels. Just have to see if the bulbs fit most of our enlargers so I can put them aside for when the enlargers burn out.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
What a generous thing to do, very kind of the lady: hope the students enjoy this windfall.
Hopefully. I may have to do some random testing from various batches though to ensure their viability since they were in storage for a few months. I'm sure they're fine (particularly the black and white), but always best to know before handing them to students in need of a grade.

The inkjet stuff is perfectly fine, we also got several 24"x100' rolls unopened called "Defective Sample" with no branding or model info at all, so I have no clue what those are and the only defect I can see is the edge of the paper is a bit frayed from being incorrectly cut. But if I could find out what brand/model it was I could get the correct ICC profiles for them. When I did a test print on one of the luster finish rolls, using Epson Luster (260) for the Epson 9900 as a start point, it came out ok-ish, just a bit dull on the dynamic range so probably not an Epson brand. But I'll probably use our calibration unit and create a new profile for it and use it for student work when we show case panoramics in the hallway since it won't be too difficult to trim the edge off them with our 96" long trimmer.

I'm really liking the Metallic Luster paper, never used it before, when I tested on that, it's still what you'd expect of luster and it's not "metallic" like you'd think visually. The metallic surface lends extra sharpness and dmax to the photo. So that will probably get a bit of department use for any creations that are very high resolution (well above 300dpi at the output resolution).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom