1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mamiya M645 shutter question (long shot)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DoofClenas, Jul 7, 2014.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    New M645 user here.

I received a used (but in excellent condition M645) the other day, and after I replaced the battery on the bottom of the camera, everything seemed to be in working order.

I loaded the film and shot the first roll. However, I noticed that after each time I pressed the shutter, I had to press the little red power button (battery check button) afterwards in order to get it to allow me to advance to the next shot. Is this normal? It appears like the mirror is locking in the up position.
    Should I try replacing the new battery with another new battery?

It's been ages since I shot a camera like this, and I can't find a mention of needing to do this in the manual. I also double-checked to make sure that I didn't have the mirror lockup or multi exposure on (and I didn't). All the shots were done with the metered prism. I didn't test the waist level prism.

I shot the whole roll in hopes that this was normal, but I won't know for a week until it is developed.

I know it's a long shot, but I thought there still might be some medium format users here. Anyone with thoughts on this?

2. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    It's been a lot of years since I last used an M645, but I was able to find the owner's manual online to refresh my memory. Under the section about testing the camera, it says that if you release the shutter without a battery in the camera, the mirror locks up and you have to press the battery check button to reset it. Your camera sounds like it's acting as though there is no battery in it. Hopefully it's just a bad battery or dirty contacts.

3. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Thanks...I did follow the steps in the manual and the mirror locks up, but the when I press the check battery light, it lights up properly (green), so I know it's getting power. Also the metered prism works, so there too, it's getting power.

I guess I'll just need to wait and see how the film comes back. If the shots turn out, then I'll just assume this is normal. Otherwise, I'll send it into so if it can be fixed or if it would be cheaper to just pick up M645 1000 series body (I've seen them floating around the web for less than $100).

4. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Turns out there was a small piece of the interior liner that pealed away from the side (near the front) that the camera mirror was catching on...I removed it and it fires at all speeds. Now I just need to replace the light season the back and I should be good to go.

5. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Excellent. I took a lot of nice photos with mine, I think you'll enjoy using it.