1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mamiya 645 and lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DoofClenas, Jun 10, 2014.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    If you had the opportunity to buy a pristine Mamiya 645 with an 85mm 2.8 and 150mm 3.5, would you do it? It has a 120 film back

It's just taking up space in the owners closet. I have access to 120 film and developing (across the street from my office).

What would a fair price be? It looks brand new, even the lenses.
    $100
    $150
    $200

2. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    Just took a look on E-bay. It could be anywhere from $400 - $600. If you can get it for $200, sell it and buy a new lens. :smile:

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'd suggest to the owner that you're not sure you will be "into" trying film again, but if the price is right, you'll give it a go and see what number he throws out there. Check eBay as well as KEH (they should have plenty for sale in various conditions). I would only be interested in buying at around half price so if you're not that into it, you can sell it without much (or any) loss.

4. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    $75 + shipping...with everything, including a bag, 2 rolls of film, fresh batteries, a few focusing screens!
    Sold I said...Sold!

I'm actually looking forward to testing the 120 film waters. I haven't used this type of camera since I was 10 years old (30 years ago). Looks like the shop across the street has a new film customer.

thumb-1402410155346-mamy. thumb-1402421195860-system.

5. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    My Guess is that its a bargain at any of those prices, but check KEH for current prices. And I would totally do it. I've recently been looking around town for a darkroom I can use. I might audit a course at the Junior College just for that :smile:
    http://www.keh.com

7. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Boy that brings back memories. I had one when they first came out, that I eventually sold to buy a Hasselblad. It's actually a pretty nice camera, especially with the meter prism. Are you sure it's an 85mm, though? They had an 80mm f2.8 that had a reputation for not being very sharp, but the 150mm and 210mm were better. I used my 210mm a lot. If you decide to keep it, you might want to consider getting the grip. It makes holding it much more comfortable, especially at eye level.

8. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    It's an 80, I misspoke. I plan on using it with the 150 mostly. I'm looking into a camera plate for my Acratech ballhead, which I plan on using this mostly on (since the omd rarely uses it).

9. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I had one, I only sold it as it was just too heavy for my fybro and I did not have the time to print and dev with a new child. The lenses where good, I found an extension tube was useful if you can find one, the view on that ground glass was glorious only bettered by a Pentax 67. You will enjoy using it especially if you can pick up the 1.9 80 (I think) it knocks all that 35mm full frame oof into touch. Just avoid larger formats they are the road to poverty :)