Making the forums work for you - the finer points

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I hope everyone has seen this thread, which is a good starting point for new members.

This thread discusses some of the finer points of using the forum for the best member experience possible.

Below are some tips, according to category.

Login issues

If you are having problems logging in or staying logged in, try the following:

1. Leave the site (navigate to a different site)
    2. Erase your browser cache
    3. Delete all cookies (warning - this will log you out of other sites as well!)
    4. Return to mu-43 and log in again
    You should only have to do this once.

If that doesn't work, your browser may not be compatible with our forum software. Some members have reported problems with certain versions of Internet Explorer.

Navigating the forums

1) In the top right corner of the screen, you'll see numerous tabs. Amongst these is the "Active" tab, which gives you the 50 most recently active discussions from the whole site.

2) In the Navbar (blue bar near the top of the screen), you'll find a link for "New Posts", which gives you a list of discussions which have been active since the last time you came to mu-43.

3) Also in the Navbar, if you click on the "Quick Links" menu and select "Mark Forums Read", it clears all existing posts from the "New Posts" list, so you can focus only on discussions which subsequently become active.

4) The "My Threads" link in the Navbar takes you to a list of your subscribed threads. By default, you are subscribed to any thread in which you have participated.

If you don't see your threads after clicking on "My Threads", go here, and under "Default Thread Subscription Mode", choose something other than "Do not subscribe", then click on "Save changes".

Also, note that the top box in the "My Threads" view is collapsible (click on the [​IMG] to collapse it).

Personal options

1) To display an avatar (small picture next to each of your forum posts), click here. If the process doesn't make sense, see this video.

2) To display a profile picture (small picture displayed within your user profile), click here.

3) To add a signature (text or image automatically displayed under each of your posts), click here.

If you click on the "Quick Links" menu in the Navbar and select "Edit Options", you get a whole bunch of options, some of which are highlighted below according to category.

1) Under Thread Display Options, you have the option to globally hide avatars and signatures from posts if you find these distracting or annoying. It is strongly recommended that you leave "Show Images" checked, since this is a photography forum :smile:.

2) Also under Thread Display Options, youcan specify the number of posts to display per page. Those with slower internet connections may want to display threads with 10 posts per page rather than the forum default of 50.

Ignoring specific forums

Members can choose to omit specific forum(s) from their 'New Posts' (show in the blue Navbar above) or 'Today's Posts' (shown in the 'Quick Links' menu in the blue Navbar above) views.

You can do this under User CP > Edit Options - Scroll to the bottom under "Exclude Forums from 'Get New Posts'" and highlight the forums you wish to exclude. Control click (command click on a Mac) to select or deselect forums one by one. Then click on 'Save changes'.

Note that this setting does not affect the threads shown on the 'Active' tab or the 'Recent Discussions' column, which will continue to show all recently active threads. If you really want to make a forum non-existant, use the "Exclude Forums from 'Get New Posts'" as above, collapse the 'Recent Discussions' module in the right column by clicking on the [​IMG], and stay away from the 'Active' tab :wink:.

• Like Like x 11
  2. thatp

thatp Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2010
    Bangkok
    Embarrassing question: What did I do wrong?

Hi Administrator,

I suspect that I must have done something wrong or overlooked some small details. I uploaded a photo (72x100px/2.5 kb in size) for my Profile Picture. The picture shows up alright in my Public Profile but cannot be displayed in the messages I posted.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Use the avatar edit box and upload it to your avatar.
    It will then show in every post.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I've searched about for awhile and can't seem to find the answer. In some threads, I need to scroll left to right to see everything. Is there some way I can configure my this website or my web browser (usually Firefox) so that this is not necessary. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I've seen this occur several times and thought it might be a server issue. Today I finally discovered a cause, which is the result of the width of a posted image within the thread. Today's was such an enormously wide image, ussing appx 8 screen reductions I could barely make out the response buttons at end of thread.

6. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

So, seeing as it isn't actually made clear anywhere - like, at all..

What are the requirements to be able to add an avatar?

Anyone?

Z...

Edit - oddly enough, th eoption magically started to work... Still no idea as to the requirements, though.

7. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Your post made me curious, so I looked it up.mu-43 FAQ

You need 100 posts before you can add an avatar. You're at 103 now, so presto! Avatar!

8. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    I added a signature. I can see it fine when I preview it in the Edit Signature fields, and then I click "Save Signature." Why doesn't it show up? I can't see what I'm doing wrong....

9. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    I see it on the post I just made, but not other posts. Does the new signature show on older posts? Or only posts made after creating the signature?

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

I can't find this setting to ignore certain forums; is it still there?

Thank you,
    Barry

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it's only posts after making the signature but not sure.

It's not there anymore. Most of what is said in the first post of this thread no longer applies, which is why it isn't stickied anymore.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.