1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Making Paracord Wrist Strap Question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by retiredfromlife, Feb 16, 2019.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Just wondering how people finish the cord ends when making their own wrist straps.
    I notice on the youtube videos people are just melting the ends and it looks like just hopeing the melted ends do not pull through to keep the strap from coming undone.

On the one I made today I sewed the ends in as well as melting them. This was the simple one everyone seems to show. I intend to progress and make some of the more fancy knots as well.

Just wondering how people finish off their loose ends ?

2. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Not sure I understand... Do you have a pic or a link to a pic? Thanks

3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    A bit fuzzy but you can see I sewed the ends instead of just melting them close to the finished knots like shown in youtube videos. My cord has a loose weave and if I simply just pulled the knots tight then trimmed the ends close to the finished knots the ends would have pulled through fairly quickly so I sewed [stitched] the ends to the cord to keep them in place.

It would be nice to have a more elegant solution

ends.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I just melt the ends with a lighter and knot the end so it doesn't fray and can act as a stop for the movable bit of my wrist strap if other knots/loops come loose.

5. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    What sort of a knot did you use? I tried a few and the knots would not hold without a load on them. I picked a fairly soft weaved cord so it would know easily but it would not hold knots easily. Possibly the cord I selected is not the best for the job ?

6. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Not a great photo - black one has a sliding loop for my wrist and the green is simpler - just a knotted cord with a hole formed between the cord.

_IGP0195.jpg

7. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks like my design is different. I should have posted a full picture like this first up. You can see where I finished my knotted weave bottom left of the photo, and this is where I sewed the ends in.

IMG_1990.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Oh cool! Yes, yours is much fancier than mine. I have bought one like that with a clip on the end. No idea how they tied it off within the knotting structure and kept it tidy. I just went for the simplest and least hassle way of putting mine together.

9. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Another (k)not so great photo of my keychain - looks like they looped the ends back into the braid and melted the tips (at the bottom of the braid). It looks so tidy I almost wonder if they didn't drop the tips into hard-wax or melted hot-glue as it doesn't look like a normal bit of melted cord.

WP_20190218_17_19_08_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    Alloy crimps would be quite tidy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I use an old Weller soldering gun with a flat cutting tip to weld layers of neck strap together. It would probably work really well for the cut ends on paracord. You can control the temperature and not have an open flame to produce embedded soot.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. VSTR61

VSTR61 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 15, 2017
    Perth, Western Australia
    Vic
    I've found from experience that any metallic object on a strap can scratch something you don't want scratched. I use a simple, single-strand cord as a wrist strap with a sliding wooden bead as a choke and a cross knot to complete the loop. The knot doesn't come undone and the loose ends were gently melted with a lighter flame to stop any fraying.

Not the prettiest thing in the world but it's more about safety than comfort or support.

• Like Like x 1
  13. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've made a couple and follow these directions. The last knot he calls a final or clean knot, seems to work well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I'm a lazy bugger so good luck and all credit to those who wish to embark on making their own but I chose the ebay option where they can be purchased for as little as A$1.50

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Really should pick up one of the little torches if I'm going to make more of these, or at least a lighter. The clean knot seem to work pretty well, I actually just made this one today (paracord 325).
    P2180022.jpg
    P2180020.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes they are easy to make, I will check out that video when I get home from work.

17. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I will give this knot ending a go with my next one, probably this weekend.

18. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    Has this taken over from the loom band craze?...cos i missed that meeting

19. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Well now's your chance to redeem yourself

• Like Like x 1
  20. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    Sorry my attention span is not that great...I also cheated a purchased one on fleabay for a couple of quid...but i use superglue to soak into fibres...that generally does the trick

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.