Making Paracord Wrist Strap Question

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just wondering how people finish the cord ends when making their own wrist straps.
I notice on the youtube videos people are just melting the ends and it looks like just hopeing the melted ends do not pull through to keep the strap from coming undone.

On the one I made today I sewed the ends in as well as melting them. This was the simple one everyone seems to show. I intend to progress and make some of the more fancy knots as well.

Just wondering how people finish off their loose ends ?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure I understand... Do you have a pic or a link to a pic? Thanks
A bit fuzzy but you can see I sewed the ends instead of just melting them close to the finished knots like shown in youtube videos. My cord has a loose weave and if I simply just pulled the knots tight then trimmed the ends close to the finished knots the ends would have pulled through fairly quickly so I sewed [stitched] the ends to the cord to keep them in place.

It would be nice to have a more elegant solution

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just melt the ends with a lighter and knot the end so it doesn't fray and can act as a stop for the movable bit of my wrist strap if other knots/loops come loose.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just melt the ends with a lighter and knot the end so it doesn't fray and can act as a stop for the movable bit of my wrist strap if other knots/loops come loose.
What sort of a knot did you use? I tried a few and the knots would not hold without a load on them. I picked a fairly soft weaved cord so it would know easily but it would not hold knots easily. Possibly the cord I selected is not the best for the job ?

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not a great photo - black one has a sliding loop for my wrist and the green is simpler - just a knotted cord with a hole formed between the cord.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not a great photo - black one has a sliding loop for my wrist and the green is simpler - just a knotted cord with a hole formed between the cord.

View attachment 719936
Looks like my design is different. I should have posted a full picture like this first up. You can see where I finished my knotted weave bottom left of the photo, and this is where I sewed the ends in.

Last edited:

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like my design is different. I should have posted a full picture this first up. You can see where I finished my knotted weave bottom left of the photo, and this id where I sewed the ends in.

View attachment 719955
Oh cool! Yes, yours is much fancier than mine. I have bought one like that with a clip on the end. No idea how they tied it off within the knotting structure and kept it tidy. I just went for the simplest and least hassle way of putting mine together.

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like my design is different. I should have posted a full picture like this first up. You can see where I finished my knotted weave bottom left of the photo, and this is where I sewed the ends in.
View attachment 719955
Another (k)not so great photo of my keychain - looks like they looped the ends back into the braid and melted the tips (at the bottom of the braid). It looks so tidy I almost wonder if they didn't drop the tips into hard-wax or melted hot-glue as it doesn't look like a normal bit of melted cord.

Last edited:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I use an old Weller soldering gun with a flat cutting tip to weld layers of neck strap together. It would probably work really well for the cut ends on paracord. You can control the temperature and not have an open flame to produce embedded soot.

VSTR61

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Vic
Alloy crimps would be quite tidy
I've found from experience that any metallic object on a strap can scratch something you don't want scratched. I use a simple, single-strand cord as a wrist strap with a sliding wooden bead as a choke and a cross knot to complete the loop. The knot doesn't come undone and the loose ends were gently melted with a lighter flame to stop any fraying.

Not the prettiest thing in the world but it's more about safety than comfort or support.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Really should pick up one of the little torches if I'm going to make more of these, or at least a lighter. The clean knot seem to work pretty well, I actually just made this one today (paracord 325).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom