Making my first photography business card. What do you guys think?

perpetualjon

Mu-43 Veteran
businesscard01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not trying at this point to specialize in any particular aspect of photography so I don't want to include sample shots. I'd love to hear what you all think...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
One practical comment. There is no space to write on a business card with a black background. I am not certain if this matters to you, but people often like to write a note or two on business cards.

--Ken

perpetualjon

Mu-43 Veteran
One practical comment. There is no space to write on a business card with a black background. I am not certain if this matters to you, but people often like to write a note or two on business cards.

--Ken

I've actually accounted for that by keeping the back of the card a blank white. That's also why the QR code is on the front as well.

Ellsass

Mu-43 Regular
Why the QR code? I didn’t think people actually used those, and it’s a bit distracting. Your URL is printed right there and it’s not too long to type.

incabloc

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice looking card. I also agree there's no need for the QR code.

Apart from distracting it also makes your card look generic like all other materials bearing the QR code.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
a thumbs down for a the QR code

also reconsider whether you actually need your physical address on there - is that your home address? or an office/studio?

Personally I wouldn't divulge my physical location until some other level of contact had been made.

I use cards from moo.com which are good for short runs of 50. I select 20 or so images and get them printed on one side of the card so I have a bunch of different cards. On the other side I have just name, cell phone, email address and a URL to my flickr page

cheers

K

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you don't mind some additional comments.

1. Most people looking for a photographer do not care what the photography looks like but what they are capable of doing behind the lens. The selfie I think is in poor taste. Your customers will be significantly more interested in your body of work then what you look like. If that's you.. now looking at your site. It may not be. The photo doesn't come off as a pro.

2. Most people especially in the US, are still beyond stuck with the whole FF and Canon Nikon thing. Showing off a Lumix could hurt your ability to draw customers.

3. Definitely drop the QR code.

4. The card doesn't describe what kind of photography you specialize in. Commercial, Product, Personal events, Retouching etc.

5. Alignment. There is no flow to the design. I find it very distracting how there are 3 text alignment text boxes ie top, middle and then web address all with no unity and flow.

6. Definitely do not post your full address. No one really cares where you are located until hired or contacted. I would say something along the lines of "Lancaster, CA" or just leave it off entirely or "Serving the Greater Lancaster, CA area". You many want to attract people from Santa Barbara to LA or further.

Just a bit of advice.. when posting things in forums and online etc... you should probably blur out personal details.

D

Deleted member 16340

I agree with most what's been said already. Business cards can very quickly start to look tacky, which is the last thing you want.

Personally all I really need out of a business card is info about who you are - what you do - and how to call/email you. That's it.

Just my two cents

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
sign up for an about.me page, and get 50 free Moo.com cards.. That's what I did.. I am about to order more like what KevinParis ordered... Its good quality card stock...If you are going to keep the QR code, put it in the rear of the card...

Lodos

Mu-43 Regular
I totally agree not having qr code (on front).
though some people (ie your tech savy customers) may find qr code helpful or may like to even just to try.. If you do not want to give up the qr code, I would suggest putting the qr code to the back of the card. Plus it does not need to be black and white, you may edit it to look more cool or at least have it in gray tones or have edge gradients, I have seen qr codes working fine and they look like wood engraves etc.. in my office some doors have real wood engraved qr codes they look really nice.. like some tiny digital art work.. :tongue:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
White House Custom Color sometimes has sales on their business cards, and when they are on sale, they are definitely more affordable than Moo. The regular price on a box of 250 cards starts at $25.00, and the price per card goes down from there as more cards are ordered.

--Ken

picturewow

Mu-43 Regular
Keep it simple and get some high quality letter-pressed business cards. It's more special. Let people know you are an artsy person that appreciates craftsmanship and understands visual design.

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I agree with most what's been said already. Business cards can very quickly start to look tacky, which is the last thing you want.

Personally all I really need out of a business card is info about who you are - what you do - and how to call/email you. That's it.

Just my two cents

Agreed. Business cards should now be seen as a marketing tool to drive you to your website where a person can then drill down and get a comprehensive view of your portfolio of work or a means of getting your personal details to populate your contact in the contact manager app.

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Keep it simple and get some high quality letter-pressed business cards. It's more special. Let people know you are an artsy person that appreciates craftsmanship and understands visual design.

Yup. Such elements as a die-cut, embossed-debossed, foiled cards really help the card stand out and get your an extra look at it.

D MATIC

Mu-43 Regular
I agree with the previous comments about using letterpress but I'd stay away from thermography. Letterpress is classy and professional at the same time. You can really see the difference especially when you put it next to a digitally printed business card. The only problem is it's expensive. It's also a very different direction then your provided design and actually might be too idiosyncratic for a photographer business card.

I like reverse out cards (white type on dark) but personally I would stay away from the Trajan 'movie' typeface and use even more classic typefaces like Garamond, Bembo, etc. Depending on your target audience you may want to go san-serif with the type and do Gotham, Avenir, Din etc. But those are just my personal choices.

Typographically I think there is too much going on and as someone else mentioned earlier... alignments. The word "Photographer" is not correctly centered under your name (its off to the left) which throws off the center alignment for the phone number/email address. Then the 2 line mailing address is center aligned, but is then right aligned with the url because of the QR code box. There are too many different types of alignments and too many changes in type sizes, big, small, big, small, etc etc. Ditch the photo and QR box. Keep it typographically timeless. Think about who your target audience is. Don't make them think too much. These are just my thoughts.

Latest threads

Top Bottom