1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Making large prints?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by linkedit, May 12, 2011.

1. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Not m43 but...

I have some 4x5 chromes from the 90's that I want to get prints . I used to bring them to a cibachrome place in NYC but it has (obviously) gone out of business.

Does anyone know of anywhere that I would be able to send this film to be scanned and printed?

2. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Copying them with my camera??? That's not really going to work at all.

As far as size I have 4x5 Ektachromes that I'm looking to enlarge to 11x14 or 20x24

3. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    11 x 14 in. not a problem from a good 12MP reproduction.
    I have 16 x 24 prints hanging in my gallery, taken with a Fuji S3 (6 MP boosted to 12...) and believe me they're sharp.

Now making the reproduction bench for your slides wouldn't be that complicated, would it? White ice-cream cooler box, a strobe or LEDs, and the focusing screen of your view camera for the frosted glass... I presume you kept it.

Now, I do have a Coolscan 8000 scanner somewhere around... I Don't use it since I started doing most of my copying with the D3x...

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Doesn't just about any scanner on the market do 1200 dpi?

... and 12MP is plenty up to 13x19, even with some cropping.

5. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Copying the chromes is a possibility but most definitely a last resort. I'd prefer to have them sent out, scanned and printed.

6. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Here in UK I have had a couple of prints done by www.theprintspace.co.uk.
    I do my own scans, upload them, pay on-line and get perfect prints within 48 hours. The quality is first rate. I had them done to see if they would be better than my own prints that I put through a large format Epson printer. On inkjet paper I can do as good.
    BUT - they do digital prints onto photo (C41) paper and that isn't an option for me.
    I'm not suggesting that you send your files across the Atlantic but I'm sure there must be places closer to home that can offer a similar service. Worth looking at the Printspace to see what's on offer and get an idea of what's available out there.
    Good luck. 5x4 chromes, properly scanned and printed, are stunning. And the prints you get will be sharper than anything through a conventional enlarger.
    Cheers
    Michael

7. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    that's what I'm looking for.

8. Nehemiah

Nehemiah New to Mu-43

May 15, 2012
    You cab make your image as a large print as you want you just take your picture and plug in your camera to your computer and send this snap to the shop and get your choice of image size.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you google "4x5 film scanning service" you'll find quite a few hits. Unfortunately I can't recommend anyplace.

Hopefully someone with experience in this area will jump in.
    Fred