1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Making a new entrance into Olympus system

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sin77, Dec 23, 2012.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Hi. It has been a while since my last posting a few months back.

Now I am back (from Nikon DSLR) and added a new toy the E-PM2 into my collection, with modest lenses (just three).

As a new Olympus user, it wasn't easy at all to adapt into the unfamilar interface, especially coming from a Panasonic (FZ, G) and Nikon user background.

I almost regretted my purchase upon seeing the 'messy' interface but after reading the manual and fiddling the settings, it became a clear win (personally for me) against all other systems. Never had I seen such extensive features which I had not came across in others. The myriad of settings allow me to tweak so many things and some features are considered very advance as well. I wish I had started with an Oly than a Pany one year ago, when I decided to get the better sensor (in G3) at that time. That said, the G3 was value for money then, though it is now dirt cheap especially for a used one.

Coming back to my original intention, I pretty much wanted to learn more about the Olympus system from users here and yearning to be more participative going forward.

For a start, I would like to get some opinions from some of you who may be using e-pm2, e-pl5 and/or omd.

1. What is the iso limit you use? I am prudently at 2,500.

2. What is the noise filter level you have chosen? Off, Low, Std, High?

3. What strap are you using? Wrist, neck, cross shoulder or nothing?

4. Is your small flash unit / evf fixed on the hotshoe most of the time or only when you require to use it?

5. Should I sell my PZ14-42x and get an Oly 14-42 kit lens, in the hope that the quality from Oly kit lens will be better than that of the x lens?

6. Do you shoot in jpeg + raw or just jpeg? For jpeg, do you shoot at Fine or Superfine?

2. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    These might be good questions to ask of all :43: users.

3. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Yes, open to all as well. Just that for iso settings, I am more keen towards epm2, epl5 & omd, since they are using the same sensor.

4. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I have an EM-5, and it's a great little camera.

for ISO, I've shot up to 25,800 and with a little work you can get acceptable images for web.

For high quality work, ISO 3200-4000 would be my limit, although I've seen images shot as high as ISO 10,000 would print very well at 8x10.

I shoot RAW, so I have all in camera setting set to normal, standard... whatever the default value.

I wouldn't worry about the lens, I've seen some tests between the two, there's not enough of a difference to go from one to the other.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    OMD
    raw only use C1 for developing so settings for jpg dont matter :)
    iso 4000
    strap
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/new-ultimate-camera-strap-setup-37962/
    flash the FL600 is a great small unit ! has a video light it can rotate either way enough to do great bounce flash its not for weddings :) but around the house and out and about its my fav flash for the M4/3
    selling ? personal choice :) I have some nice glass and love the 12-35 2.8 but its not cheap if I was picking up a kit it would be the OMD with the 12-50 or whatever that lens is can do macro nicely can do video nicely really a nice basic kit lens :)

6. Nonnit

Nonnit Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2012
    Iceland
    1. What is the iso limit you use? I am prudently at 2,500.

There is no limit, but I see something around 2,500 as a turning point on both the E-M5 and canon 600D for quality, but it all depends, take High ISO and turn it in to old school grainy B/W!

2. What is the noise filter level you have chosen? Off, Low, Std, High?

I shoot RAW (plus lightroom 4) before E-M5, I checked out the JPEG on the E-M5 when I got it, then turn RAW on and never looked back!!!!!!

3. What strap are you using? Wrist, neck, cross shoulder or nothing?

Neck, my current setup is lowepro slingshot 102 AW, when I chance lenses the sling comes on front and camera on neck sits on the sling like it was on table in front of me.

4. Is your small flash unit / evf fixed on the hotshoe most of the time or only when you require to use it?

I just got the E-M5 and I just ordered the FL300r, having (good) flash is super important to me, I often use flash outside (fill flash) Oly 45 f/1.8 + FL300 + ND filters = shoot wide open in sunlight (this is what I hope will work)

5. Should I sell my PZ14-42x and get an Oly 14-42 kit lens, in the hope that the quality from Oly kit lens will be better than that of the x lens?

I had the PZ 14-42, fine on the short end but horrible on the long end, I gave up on the idea of using kit/zooms with M43 and got panny 14mm f/2.5 and oly 45mm f/1.8 - I am happy with this setup.

6. Do you shoot in jpeg + raw or just jpeg? For jpeg, do you shoot at Fine or Superfine?

RAW, just RAW, gigabytes are cheap, lightroom just came very cheap with LR4 (no reason to go pirate on software, go legit with LR4 and love it), Make 1 button presets to your liking for JPEG convertions.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    1. Max set at 3200, but will push it to 6400 if need be.
    2. Off, but I shoot raw only, so it is controlled in post.
    3. The neck strap it came with, but need to find something else...probably a wrist strap, especially if I, er, when I buy the 20mm
    4. Fl-36r, only because it is a carry over from my 4/3 system. It does a great job as a support handle too
    5. Keep,the pz or sell it for a 20 or 17mm
    6. Raw only

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    E-M5 user here...

1. I set mine at 3200/6400 honestly. I am happy with the images at 6400 for most things. And I'll use it in a crunch for events, but stay at 3200 for that.

2. Off. Does this matter for raw though?

3. I use a 3/8" strap of webbing I custom sized for myself. I have paracord and have been meaning to weave a full shoulder strap from it. At the very least, I want to add a paracord hand strap since I have jlm's grip.

5. I think it's a wash for the most part. If you have it, I'd just keep it unless you need cash. But if you do, get the mk2.

6. I shoot just raw.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    E-PL5:

1. 1600, but I'm over cautious. I override if the occasion merits it.
    2. Low
    3. wrist
    4. I don't use flash that much so the clip-on is in the bag. I've yet to use it in anger.
    5. I don't really use a zoom in that range. I use the 14 and the Oly 45.
    6. Raw + JPEG, but I was waiting for the JPEG to be supported by PS.
    7. Less than $10,000.

10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    1. Started at 6400 cause i read a review that said its ok that high, but now it's adjisted down to 2500-3200 unless its really necessary.
    2. Off
    3. Optech sling + custom wapiti pad, i have backpack attachment for it as well ffor hiking and whatnot.
    4. Have fl300 and fl600. Travel with 300 but moatly try to make do with natural light and fast lenses.
    5. I dont think its that different between those two. Aperture or focal range changes yield more positive difference where it matters. Personally i use 12-35 and 75 for travelling. Alao 7-14 or fisheye.
    6. When travelling, fine jpg. Superfine yields slightly less artifact for complex geometries or fine details, but you have to pixel peep to see the difference. Over/under-exposure recovery seems about the same. Raw when necessary.
    7. About $25000

11. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm missing something. What is question #7?

12. MarkyC

MarkyC New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing

13. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I was just putting a bigger value, not to be outdone by the peevious poster.

14. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    1. 3200. 1600 isn't enough, and if I need higher ISO 3200 is usually acceptable.

2. Noise filter is Off for me. I shoot RAW+Jpeg and only really care about the RAW, so the noise filter is not that important to me. The Jpegs are just for preview on my Android tablet.

3. I use a Carry Speed Slim Mk II without the base plate.

4. Only when I need it, and I use the FL-300R.

5. I would sell it and get a prime. But if you really want a kit lens then get the Olympus 12-50. The extra 2mm on the wide end is really useful, and the macro capability comes in handy sometimes too.

6. I shoot RAW+JPG with the JPGs at medium/fine because they are just for preview on my Android tablet.

15. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    wondering what the previous poster is saying.

16. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I have thought about that but the 12-50 is too long for my liking.

Also i would rely too much on 12mm wide, and I would get a lot of perspective distortion when I shoot my wife (no pun intended), i.e. head big, body small.