Making a deal with myself.....

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Last major purchase, second G9 in December 2020 (2 G9's, 1 Gx85). Number of lenses 9. Number of tripods - 2. Number of mono pods - 1. Number of flashes (slaves and others): Number of video loups - 2. Number of recorders 1. Number of Mics 3. and on and on. Lenses primarily used in the last year: PL100-400 and Olympus 60mm. Images taken: > 5K (birding / macro of fossils in CD19 times).

All other hobbies similar as to having "maybe too much". I am not buying any more tools (will upgrade one program later this year). I have decided to call 2021 year of the user, I am committed to doing and not " if only I had" for the rest of the year. Started on Sunday, took a couple of images (many more to do) from a new previously unidentified fossil location. have about 50 new macros to image. I'm getting off my butt and doing, how about you?

Last edited:

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I told myself years ago to stop buying any more tube amplifiers, preamps and speakers. That didn’t work. I told myself that I have enough camera gear at the start of the pandemic and that I didn’t need any more of those. That didn’t work either. The same thing happened with bacon. I just have to admit that I am opening myself up to failure whenever I try to commit to not buying something.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I told myself years ago to stop buying any more tube amplifiers, preamps and speakers. That didn’t work. I told myself that I have enough camera gear at the start of the pandemic and that I didn’t need any more of those. That didn’t work either. The same thing happened with bacon. I just have to admit that I am opening myself up to failure whenever I try to commit to not buying something.
But everybody knows that photography is better with bacon!:rolleyes:

And if you ever want to get rid of those NOS 12AX7's or 5751's, I'm here to help you lighten your load.

--Ken

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
That almost never worked for me.
The only time it did, was when I could not make up my mind. :confused:
I shot Nikon APS-C and I was thinking about upgrading to FF. So I held off buying any APS-C specific lenses, anticipating going to FF. But I kept putting off the decision, so I did not buy any lenses. :confused: That lasted for two years . . . before I went the other way, to m4/3, and I went overboard. :biggrin:

My hobbies come and go in cycles. When one picks up, the others slow down. Then something causes me to pickup one of the idle hobbies, and off we go again.
Making a decision to not spend in a hobby is a sure way for me to get that hobby to fire up again.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I swear, this place is always good for a laugh!

First @D7k1 tells us he isn't going to buy anything photography related for a WHOLE YEAR, then @turbodieselvw implies he tried to give up bacon!

:rofl: :roflmao::laugh1:

I've promised myself not to promise myself anything. It always results in disappointment, for at least a full 15 seconds after I hit the 'complete purchase' button!

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Wait, you're from Ottawa. Do you mean Canadian Bacon? 'Cause that I could understand.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I feel ya. I bought a G9 at the end of 2019 and a month ago already switched to an EM1mkiii. I have tons of other expenditures with other hobbies- surfing, mountain biking, girlfriend, cooking, etc.

I decided that my new challenge is 400,000 shutter actuations on the mkiii. No new bodies or lenses until then. Only ~380,000 left to go.

edit: for lenses my deal with myself is 1 in, 1 out.

Last edited:

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
I feel ya. I bought a G9 at the end of 2019 and a month ago already switched to an EM1mkiii a month ago. I have tons of other expenditures with other hobbies- surfing, mountain biking, girlfriend, cooking, etc.

I decided that my new challenge is 400,000 shutter actuations on the mkiii. No new bodies or lenses until then. Only ~380,000 left to go.

I shouldn't ask, but what changes do you appreciate with the move to the EM1.3? Size and weight are apparent. PDAF, I assume. I only ask because I could see doing the same thing -- probably violating the initial tenor of this thread!

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I shouldn't ask, but what changes do you appreciate with the move to the EM1.3? Size and weight are apparent. PDAF, I assume. I only ask because I could see doing the same thing -- probably violating the initial tenor of this thread!
I made a this or that thread here

In short size/weight was the driving factor and once in hand I realized I had ergonomic issues with the G9. The em1iii is a lot more comfortable to shoot with, even with the 100-400 surprisingly. I'm a stills guy and I really want to do more long exposures and high res and the mkiii features just really aligns with my guerrilla style of landscape shooting and frees up even more weight. PDAF is really good- I get a slightly better hit rate but the most noticeable thing is it doesn't have the frantic DFD wobble- feels a lot more composed. Lastly I'm really impressed with the Jpeg output and everything looks perfect using 'natural' photo style- I had pretty good results with the G9 but selecting and modifying the right photo style became part of my shooting workflow and really slowed me down. And the sky high ISO's (12,800-25,600) looks really good in the mkiii JPEGs. One last thing the option to hold/reset custom modes was pretty big for me.

The downsides I've noticed are EVF- I don't care about the size difference, I'm all about tradeoffs for a lighter camera, but the highlights are blown and overall doesn't have the accuracy of the G9. Panasonic has much better FN button offerings and I was kind of let down with the Oly which seems to be more about remapping than providing any innovative or useful options (aside from assigning a custom mode to a FN button). The G9 has plenty of 'nice to haves' (scroll wheel, top plate LCD, bigger EVF, front switch) but for me I was ready to trade those off for the mkiii size/weight savings and features.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
I have returned to the Fuji system having gotten rid of my previous XT3 and 50-140 early last year when I plumped for the M43 system as my sole system as I couldn’t justify a mixture of both and one had to go
(in any case had very limited opportunity to use the remaining M43 kit at a very low number of Motorsports events I got to when COVID restrictions permitted)

Having really really really ! missed my one real hobby during 2020 and wanting to make the most of it when restrictions are lifted I then bought into the Nikon Z system expecting to make use of the low light capabilities for local evening speedway events - only for the local promoter to pull out of the National league !

So again in the process of rationalising my gear hoping to reduce to just Fuji (which I really missed) and a couple of M43 items
Am really determined to stop buying gear this year ?? and to stick with and maximise the use of the items I have

With regard to actually getting out and using said gear I am determined to get to as many events as possible especially after 2020 showing that they may not always be available and that I must make the most of being able whilst I still can with unpredictable back injuries being a further source of possible ongoing restriction

To be fair I did this anyway over the past few years but am more determined than ever in 2021 to get to as many Motorsports events as possible (family and finances permitting baring in mind the additional expense and time required to travel to U.K. mainland each time from the Isle of Wight)

As usual to ensure that I get to said events I have booked tickets in advance for some of the major events which will ensure I will be doing them and will be provisionally going to at least one British Superbike event, World Superbike for which I’ve teamed up with a mate for weekend camping, MotoGP all weekend to be combined with a 10 day family break, Festival of Speed Saturday and perhaps F1 qualifying day (all U.K. events)

Having gotten quite down at times last year as a result of the worldwide situation , its restrictions and lack of breaks and trips away I am looking forward to this season more than I have ever looked forward and am starting off with a trip to Brands Hatch for British GT next month (June)

Im a bit like a kid at Christmas - Can’t wait ???

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I feel ya. I bought a G9 at the end of 2019 and a month ago already switched to an EM1mkiii. I have tons of other expenditures with other hobbies- surfing, mountain biking, girlfriend, cooking, etc.

You better not show this thread to your girlfriend. I don't think she'll be too happy to be labelled as one of your hobbies..........

Last edited:

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
I made a this or that thread here

In short size/weight was the driving factor and once in hand I realized I had ergonomic issues with the G9. The em1iii is a lot more comfortable to shoot with, even with the 100-400 surprisingly. I'm a stills guy and I really want to do more long exposures and high res and the mkiii features just really aligns with my guerrilla style of landscape shooting and frees up even more weight. PDAF is really good- I get a slightly better hit rate but the most noticeable thing is it doesn't have the frantic DFD wobble- feels a lot more composed. Lastly I'm really impressed with the Jpeg output and everything looks perfect using 'natural' photo style- I had pretty good results with the G9 but selecting and modifying the right photo style became part of my shooting workflow and really slowed me down. And the sky high ISO's (12,800-25,600) looks really good in the mkiii JPEGs. One last thing the option to hold/reset custom modes was pretty big for me.

The downsides I've noticed are EVF- I don't care about the size difference, I'm all about tradeoffs for a lighter camera, but the highlights are blown and overall doesn't have the accuracy of the G9. Panasonic has much better FN button offerings and I was kind of let down with the Oly which seems to be more about remapping than providing any innovative or useful options (aside from assigning a custom mode to a FN button). The G9 has plenty of 'nice to haves' (scroll wheel, top plate LCD, bigger EVF, front switch) but for me I was ready to trade those off for the mkiii size/weight savings and features.
Thanks. I went back and read the thread link, too. There’s much to consider. Both obviously are good cameras!

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
yeah both quite good... I was surprised at how different they are despite all the similarities. We are lucky to be able to jump bodies and keep all our lenses!

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
I buy as much of my equipment used (especially lenses) as I possibly can. A buddy of mine said, "Just think of it as renting a lens". If I can sell it for what I paid for it then I don't worry about buying it. My shutter count increases by about 1000 every month so I feel I am getting my money's worth in entertainment.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
@D7k1 tells us he isn't going to buy anything photography related for a WHOLE YEAR
I'm Not Buying Another Camera For At Least 12 Months, and other hilarious jokes you can tell y...png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
How much would it cost to take 5000 photographs with film? Think about that.

Constantly buying new equipment does kinda cancel out one the main advantages of digital vs. film. I used the same camera for 15 years, and even as the picture-taking accelerated in later years it didn't really cost me anything.

I think as we grow as photographers, we will have better idea what exactly we really need. Buying so much equipment suggests to me someone still figuring out who they are as a photographer. Of course, buying too little equipment like me can also suggest the same. I was confused what I should get, and I'm still confused.

I noticed similar thing as a PC gamer, guys constantly upgrading their machines, obsessing about benchmarks and frame rates. Then it's not really about the games anymore.

Of course, the male's collector mentality, the male hunter instinct, could be another factor. When I was a teenager, I collected Magic: The Gathering cards, and today I satisfy my hunger by collecting CDs and photo books, so I don't need to collect camera bodies and lenses. Finding something else to collect might also help to reduce your need to collect camera gear.

But no matter what gear you buy, it's still probably cheaper than film.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Last major purchase, second G9 in December 2020 (2 G9's, 1 Gx85). Number of lenses 9. Number of tripods - 2. Number of mono pods - 1. Number of flashes (slaves and others): Number of video loups - 2. Number of recorders 1. Number of Mics 3. and on and on. Lenses primarily used in the last year: PL100-400 and Olympus 60mm. Images taken: > 5K (birding / macro of fossils in CD19 times).

All other hobbies similar as to having "maybe too much". I am not buying any more tools (will upgrade one program later this year). I have decided to call 2021 year of the user, I am committed to doing and not " if only I had" for the rest of the year. Started on Sunday, took a couple of images (many more to do) from a new previously unidentified fossil location. have about 50 new macros to image. I'm getting off my butt and doing, how about you?
I have found trying to make deals with the devil within does not seem to workout favourably for me :(

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am waiting for the next eBay seller's fee promotion listings. I realized during the months of lockdown that it's only a couple of lenses that I use with my m43 cameras, and even then I mainly use the G90 body. For most of the time I have been using the FZ10002 bridge camera when I would have used the P12-60mm, P14-140mm or P45-175mm before.

Latest threads

Top Bottom