Make your smartphone into a bulky camera rig

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Jul 15, 2015.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    How in the world did this thing get funded?
    cd3e1a73c91e43b85dcb591e2497b92e_original.
    d3d2c4bdb32fddaebaa9139c607054df_original.

Some things I just don't understand.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus beat them to it anyway, with the Air:

Capture.JPG

olympuscamera.

olympus-air-a01-rig-1.

3. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The Olympus Air makes a LOT more sense to me as a product than this IndieVice excrescence.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

At least with the Air you get a sensor that is clean at ISO 500. What would the crop factor on this be? It also says get those DOF shot. I am not sure they realize that even with a f1.4 lens on 1/3" or even 1/2.4" sensor will really give you the DOF one is looking for.

5. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I am very intrigued by the new Olympus Air A01. So much so, I ordered one (body only) last Sunday. I have lenses I can use with and figure that will usually be my Panasonic 20mm, f/1.7 or the kit 14-42mm I got when I bought my E-PL6 and rarely use.

I already have an E-M1 and an E-PL6 and look at the Air as my "fun" camera. I look forward to using it for candid shots and experimenting with it by remotely controlling it from my iPhone 6 or iPad Mini 3. Though, ibviiusly, I'll sometimes use it, I expect, with my iPhone in the provided coupler, I envision far more usage of it 'uncoupled.'

Bill
    http://www.infotor.com/blog

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Gonna need a LONG selfie stick for this one! :doh:

7. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    battleax, the Olympus Air A01 has the "inerds" of the E-M10, therefore, a standard micro4/3 sensor with 16MP. So, crop factor is 2x, as with all m43 cameras. With my E-M10, battleax, I felt I could get decent images up to ISO 3200, so I fully expect the same with the Air.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can't look at it that way. There is already a lens in front of the sensor. You aren't using the 50mm f1.4 as your primary lens. Rather, it is a secondary add on lens. You are actually using the iphone's lens to capture the projection from the DSLR lens. It's most definitely not FF quality, but you certainly aren't going to be getting the 7x crop factor and effective DOF like you were hinting at. It's actually almost no crop factor, but it similar to the effect of taking a picture of a picture with your iphone. A lot of image quality is lost, obviously.

Here's a link to a similar rig with some samples:

http://www.vid-atlantic.com/products/encinema-slr-iphone-kit-with-mcam

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was asking about the crop factor of this product, I am well aware of the Airs crop factor.

10. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    battleax, what is "this product?" The Air is what was being discussed, so assumed you were referring to it??

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I assume that battleax's question was in reference to IndieVice product from the original post in this thread.

12. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Absolutely correct, DeeJayK! My apologies...I got caught up in the side-thread about the Olympus Air A01. My mistake, battleax!