Major Problem with Firmware 3.0, OMD-EM1 mkii and HDMI out audio: NOW FIXED with Firmware 3.1

Wairoakid

Mu-43 Regular
I have been using the HDMI out in RECORD mode to enable me to make long recordings on an ATOMOS Ninja Flame. This has worked perfectly and I have been able to get very long recording of high quality video (hours) from the camera. I have been using the internal microphone on the camera and it has worked well.
However with the 3.0 update the audio out is distorted and not synchronised with the video.
I am going to try an external mike on the camera to see what happens ( I usually record sound on a seperate recorder i.e ZOOM as well anyway so I can fix the problem in post production but it is extra work I can do without especially as i will not have a good audio track on the video)
Has anyone else had such a problem and what is the best way to tell Olympus about it?
I will have to go back to 2.3 I am afraid.

Thanks

NOTE: Firmware 3.1 has fixed this for me.

Last edited:

Wairoakid

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks
Just dropped back to 2.3 and all is OK as before. I am recording a gig tomorrow. I will contact Olympus Australia

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
There seem to be other video issues:
Don't update to E-M1mkII V3 firmware if you shoot video!!!! | Unlocking Olympus

If you're in NZ, best to contact Olympus Australia: Olympus - Olympus Australia
I wonder how he had his Fnc Switch set? In position 1 I can adjust exposure (in P mode) & in position 2 I can adjust mic volume.
EDIT: I can confirm there is no exposure meter in M video now, regardless of switch position, but it still shows the histogram (if selected).

It's easy to say there might be a bug (which there could be), but also it's easy to not be totally familiar with changes from an update. If all else fails, there is always the (updated) User Manual. ;) https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em1m2_ver3_e.pdf

Last edited:

Wairoakid

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Ross

I am going to do another update from 2.3 ( given how easy it is to revert) as I had problems reloading the saved settings ( anti ransomware software interfering) during the process.

I will use the same settings for Video for each firmware and make sure the switches are the same.

The main symptom is the audio is out of sync with the video and distorted in places like static.

This is NOT the case with video recorded to the SD card. It only seems to happen when using HDMI output and the record mode.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
That is one result of limited QC.
Did they define and test ALL the different combinations of variables that are possible.
Practical world says no, or you will spend years testing and never deliver a product.
So you do the 80/20 or 90/10 rule, and hope that the 20 or 10% that you miss is not critical.
So we hope that v3.1 fixes most of what slipped by v3.0 QC.

This is a reason I don't take version X.0 of most stuff.
I wait for X.1 or X.2.
I don't like being on the bleeding edge.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
That is one result of limited QC.
Did they define and test ALL the different combinations of variables that are possible.
Practical world says no, or you will spend years testing and never deliver a product.
So you do the 80/20 or 90/10 rule, and hope that the 20 or 10% that you miss is not critical.
So we hope that v3.1 fixes most of what slipped by v3.0 QC.

This is a reason I don't take version X.0 of most stuff.
I wait for X.1 or X.2.
I don't like being on the bleeding edge.
For the more adventurous, there is always LightSnowDev to access previous FW levels, but I jumped on the new FW as soon as it was released (within a couple of hours) & am happy with it so far. I'm sure we'll see a fix or two when FW 3.1 comes in the near future.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
For the more adventurous, there is always LightSnowDev to access previous FW levels, but I jumped on the new FW as soon as it was released (within a couple of hours) & am happy with it so far. I'm sure we'll see a fix or two when FW 3.1 comes in the near future.
Yes, there was enough GOOD stuff in 3.0 that I upgraded to it, despite my normal dislike of x.0 releases.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom