1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Major price increases in Canada

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bob_McBob, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2015
    Looks like Olympus rolled out major price increases on lenses across the board in Canada yesterday. MSRPs are now set more in line with the current exchange rate, so it's the end of the line for the cheaper pricing up here. The current rebates put the prices close to the previous MSRP, but it's going to hurt once they end.

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Yikes... glad I'm not just getting into the system!

3. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2015
    Not to mention they pulled the plug on the outlet store for Canadians a few weeks ago. The lens I ordered from there and never received is now twice the price at the MSRP!

4. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    @Bob@Bob Why aren't they shipping you the lens you ordered?

5. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2015
  6. AIRrunner

AIRrunner New to Mu-43

May 13, 2014
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm in Montreal and noticed this as well. There's a store here (Royal Photo) that was selling the Oly 75mm for 719$ CAD 3 days ago and since yesterday it's now listed at 1999$ CAD. Same thing for the 45mm that was selling for 297$ CAD and is now ate 499$.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Guess the exchange rate holiday is over. I don't see it as a price increase as much as the end of a really good sale. You are just paying what non-sale prices are here in the U.S. and elsewhere.

8. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    The competitive pricing was too good to last with the value of the CAD heading south (sorry). Now, Olympus is like everything else here--expensive. I guess that's the price of living in paradise. :)

9. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    That sounds like more than an exchange rate adjustment and must represent a significant increase in pricing.

Here in the US I have noticed that Best Buy, which sold the Black E-M10 and two lenses 14-42mm and 40-150mm just last month for $519.99 (that's what prompted me to make my purchase:)) is now listing the Black E-M10 and 14-42mm zoom for $599. But strange as it may seem they are selling, or at least they have it listed, just the body for the same price.

Glad I got mine when the price was more agreeable.

10. drei3

drei3 New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2015
    I was planning on picking up the Oly 45mm next week. Guess I'll be getting it used.

11. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Check eBay. I got one NIB from Japan a couple months ago for around $300 CAD including shipping. It sailed through customs with no taxes. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Just my experience...YMMV.

12. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I looked at the 40-150 Pro in Leo's Cameras June 27th and it was $1419.99. June 28th the Olympus Canada website price for this lens jumped to $1899.99. I went to Leo's the morning of the 29th and bought the lens at the Saturday price. I won't be buying anymore Olympus products until prices come down; they've jacked them up beyond the rate of exchange for their Pro lenses.
    The US nuclear deal with Iran will push international oil prices lower which will drive the CDN $ further down, thanks to the Harper government reliance on petrochemical revenues as Canada's big export.
    As I've said before, this will effectively kill Oly sales in Canada for the foreseeable future.
    The things that upset me about the price increase is that it happened with no warning, the increase was done in one fell swoop instead of a bit at a time and several items have been increased beyond the US/CDN exchange rate.
    All bitching aside, the 40-150 f2.8 is an awesome lens!

13. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Glad I picked up the MKII on pre-adjustment pricing, not to mention the 75mm for a whopping deal a few months back for that Vancouver online auction thing!

14. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Yikes Sticker shock also in calgary

Oly 75mm last month $689 today $889
    Oly 12-40 last month $ 849 today $ 979
    Oly 12-50 last month $ 479 today $ 629
    Oly 75-300 lact month $ 499 today $575

I am sure glad I paid $849 for my 12-40

15. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Damn.

Should have gotten my hands on the 40-150mm f/2.8 for $1199.99 +5% tax when I should have, instead of being greedy and waiting for it to be 20% off at the outlet.

Oh well, still got my 12-40mm and 75mm refurbished with 25% off.

16. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Our dollar is sinking faster than the titanic, but we have no inflation according to the Gov so we should be fine ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    There's nothing like a falling currency to cure G.A.S. The CAD is now at $1.30 to the USD which means that any U.S. purchases will cost $1.32 to $1.33 by the time the bank, paypal or credit card adds on its currency conversion margin. That makes even cross-border used gear expensive. :( I've just imposed a gear buying moratorium on myself. It's not just a question of whether I can afford something. It's a question of whether I'm willing to pay a lot more for something than it would have cost me several months ago just because the currency markets have decided the Canadian dollar is suddenly worth less. The good news is that as long as I don't buy anything, it has no effect on me. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, it's a good policy.

I recently bought the 100-300mm (used, from a US member on the forum) and after customs it ended up costing $500 CAD. Two weeks earlier there had been a local sale for $350 CDN, but I'd injured myself that week and couldn't make it out to the buyer to take advantage of it. Darn.

Still, $500 CAD is better than $830 after taxes it would have cost to buy it from a store around here...

19. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    But it's good for USA used gear prices to recover a bit.