main page too wide?

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Every time I come to the main page, mu-43.com, I find the content is way too wide. It's pushing the recent discussions off to the side. It seems to be assuming a 1280x1024 resolution.

While that is my monitor, I browse in windows. I'd understand a 1024 constraint on width, not that I would agree with it, but a 1280 constraint is a bit much I think. It seems the center column could be a lot narrower.

Thoughts?

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
Actually, the front page used to fit properly within a 1024 wide window, but one of the items promoted to the front page contains an absolutely massive YouTube embedded video, and that is blowing the page width out too wide.

If you scroll to that item on the front page, in it's title bar to the far right is a double chevron icon. Click it at that item should roll up/disappear. VOILA! Back to a regular width front page.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I'll bring this up with the technical guru. I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro and it looks completely normal to me. I use Safari but sometimes Firefox, where it also looks fine.

May I ask those who are having problems with the front page - due to that video, to let us know which Internet browsers you're using?

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
May I ask those who are having problems with the front page - due to that video, to let us know which Internet browsers you're using?
Hi BBW, I use firefox in a linux operating system, however I have assumed that the problem, if it can be described as such, is due to the limited size of the screen on my old IBM X31 laptop, namely 1024 x 762. It's not only the front page, but all posts with largish pictures in for example. The solution by "everythingsablur" is a satisfactory work round as far as I am concerned, the world moves on so fast these days that those of us who use technology that's more than 3 or 4 years old are well used to having some difficulties, but I'm from an era when things were built to last so am reluctant to move on and abandon perfectly useable pieces of equipment just because things have "improved". I only use the laptop for internet access, I have a larger monitor on a desktop for photographic work (1600 x 1200), although still in the windows 2000 era on that. :biggrin:

Barrie

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Barrie, thanks for your feedback. I'm certainly with you on not moving on to new equipment just because it's new and improved if what I have works just fine.

As for the issue at hand, I'll bring it to that Administrators attentions. Perhaps doing something about the video file will help.

Thank you everyone for posting about it. Let's see if we can get it "fixed".

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the 13 inch MacBook pro and it seems to work fine on that (using safari) but saying that, on my brothers 12 inch iBook the site is just a little bigger than the screen.

Haha, it even fits perfectly on my iPhone screen!, which I'm using now.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
This issue is present for me with Chrome 5/6, FF 4b4, and IE8. It certainly seems it's binding to that video size.

For the macbook users.. are you looking at it full screen? If so, that's 900pixels of width you have, which won't show any issues.

KZEE

Mu-43 Rookie
I don't know if this applies to the problem that the OP is having, but when a web page is too wide I narrow it down by pressing Ctrl + - (the subtraction sign). Each press of the Ctrl + subtraction sign will shrink the page some more. Pressing Ctrl + + (the plus sign) will enlarge the page. Pressing Ctrl + 0 (zero) will put the page back to the default setting.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Kzee, thanks for this....
with a Mac you do the Command key and the + or - and #0 to return to normal...

I moved the thread with the video to the Oly forum and that should let everyone have better real estate on the screen....
shooter

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't know if this applies to the problem that the OP is having, but when a web page is too wide I narrow it up my pressing Ctrl + - (the subtraction sign). Each press of the Ctrl + subtraction sign will shrink the page some more. Pressing Ctrl + + (the plus sign) will enlarge the page. Pressing Ctrl + 0 (zero) will put the page back to the default setting.
That doesn't solve the issue though, it's a work around. I made the post because I feel it might have been a bug or something. I see it a lot in forums that allow media posted. The posts conform to the largest item posted. Someone inevitably posts a monster 8MP+ pictures they just did a full export on.

Not sure if it was a bug here, or just something we just have to deal with. I'd argue the software should be able to limit size to keep that from happening, but that's a different issue.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
I would echo Linh's last post, this thread doesn't show the problem since no one has posted an over large picture to it. I'm probably guilty of posting somewhat larger pictures than necessary to the site, will restrict them in future. On my puppy linux operating system Ctrl+- sadly has no effect, however it won't make me use windows to access the internet.

Barrie

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Perhaps someone in the puppylinux.org community would know a way to do it?
Yes, I'll have to join and post the question, I've been a "lurker" on their forum for a long time,

Barrie

PS, have just tried Ctrl + - in the latest puppy linux (Lucid Puppy 5.1) and you know what, it works, yippee :biggrin:

B.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
I've started a thread on the voigtlander 12mm lens and had an image posted there thats 4032px x 3024px, 5.8 MB, whats the betting that that has got every ones page for that thread too wide :biggrin:,

Barrie

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've started a thread on the voigtlander 12mm lens and had an image posted there thats 4032px x 3024px, 5.8 MB, whats the betting that that has got every ones page for that thread too wide :biggrin:,

Barrie
indeed it does, heh. that's exactly what I'm talking about.. maybe posting etiquette needs to be enforced? Not sure if there's any way to limit stuff as an option for the user, but to me, those huge posts screw up entire threads, let alone if they made the front page.

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
I wonder if there's some functionality in Buddypress that would let you "force" an image to a maximum size (say 1024 horizontal) compressing it into a thumbnail if it doesn't fit.

I don't know if etiquette rules themselves would work. As I recall, in my first posts I was struggling to get the image in, and it came in every which way. I finally settled on a method (using flickr and linking to the "large" size) which gives me 1024 horizontal every time. If that's too big, of course, I could just link to a medium size... though for some images that misses the point:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(link)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom