Mahon Pool - Sunset (sort of) to Sunrise

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Oct 31, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I did a sunset and then a dawn shoot at Mahon Pool (no we didn't stay overnight but it appears several 'locals' did so in the carpark). The sunset wasn't one of the best but alas we must do what we can with nature as it presents itself and it was very windy however; the sunrise was quite reasonable.

Here are some photos from that shoot ...

Evening photos (‘sunset’ is too generous a term to use)

#1 – it is always colder than it looks (or is it?)

5130079741_c862f825b0_b.

Mahon Pool Evening 1 by peterb666, on Flickr

#2 – there is always someone fishing or gathering edible things.

5130080283_971ccf57c5_b.

Mahon Pool Evening 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

Unfortunately he kept moving whilst I was waiting for the right wave and the framing isn’t perfect. When I get better with Photoshop, I will move him to the right place.

#3 – this is about as colourful as the sunset got…

5130683318_9b202fac8e_b.

Mahon Pool Evening 3 by peterb666, on Flickr

Next morning and what a difference there was. The wind dropped to quite respectable speeds and there was enough of a break in the clouds to add some much needed colour. The next 4 shots take you through from pre-dawn to sunrise …

5130770206_ed86b8ba6d_b.

Mahon Pool Dawn 1 by peterb666, on Flickr

5130770806_5abdf2bd6f_b.

Mahon Pool Dawn 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

5130771498_d191c67c4a_b.

Mahon Pool Dawn 3 by peterb666, on Flickr

5130772150_7fa2513054_b.

Mahon Pool Dawn 4 by peterb666, on Flickr

All photos taken with an Olympus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm zoom.

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Peter,
    Beautifully saturated images as usual. The guy shaping up to take a swim certainly is doing his best to make it look cool, if not cold. Why would you want to move the lad in picture 2, seems like a lot of effort?,

Barrie

3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    As usual, beautiful pictures. Six in particular is lovely.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gotta Love Australia. All these rock pools, what other place in the world has as many.

Thanks Peter, you should make up a book I reckon hey. I never knew myself so many existed.

If I jumped in that same pool as the guy in the first shot I think i'd freeze pretty quick. He's got a bit more meat on him than me:)

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    That's because you've got lots of sharks as well Icon :smile:

Barrie

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah I spose, and Crocs and Blue bottles. With a population of only 20 million we probably have to be a bit careful.

hey you an me are nearly neck to neck on our number of posts. I just noticed mine and personally I'm surprised.

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Yes, you'll be rated as a senior member soon!, however you've got a long way to go to catch me up as a true senior, i.e. OLD, don't rush that one young man.

Barrie

8. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I was at Tamarama Beach a couple of weeks ago with a friend and he was dancing on blue bottles. They make a lovely popping sound.

I do recall we had a population of around 24 million but those Queensland crocks must have been very hungry. Now that they are well fed, it should be safe enough to venture north then.

I am going to start a web site soon with the aim of doing every pool I can manage. One had already beaten me, one that few know about called Zane Grey Pool (named after an Americal Western writer and big game fisherman) just south of Bermagui. This is a completely natural rock pool which even many of the locals don't know about. Only problem is that it appears you have to partly absail down to it or just be plain mad. It is at the bottom of a 50 metre drop. My brother-in-law, now in his mid 60s, use to swim there when he was growing up.

Thanks for your feedback folks.

9. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Sorry, thought you Aussies were :smile:. Forgive me Peter, stereotypical joke, but doubtless you've got some about us Limeys.

Barrie