Magnifying in Live View for G1/GH1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sparklehorse, Apr 4, 2010.

1. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Hello,
    I have a quick question for G1/GH1 users. In their review of the GH1 at DPReview.com they say:

"Just as in playback mode you can magnify live view by pressing the enlarge button (or back out again with reduce). While magnified you can use the multi-controller to move around the live image. "

This is stated about a quarter of the way down this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/page8.asp

I can not for the life of me figure out what the "enlarge" button is they're referring to, or find a way to magnify the live view other than when in manual focus mode. I can magnify images in playback no problem, but not in live view. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

Gordon

2. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    With the G1, switching to MF is the only way I'm aware of, which I sometimes use when working on a tripod.

3. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Magnify in Live View

Hi David, thanks. That does work, for sure, but I was trying to figure out what the heck they're talking about at DPReview. I think I've finally found it. The camera has to be set to MF using the focus mode dial. Then MF ASSIST has to be set to OFF in the custom menu. To initiate magnify you have to press the left (<)button on the multi-controller. This brings up a little rectangle on the screen that indicates the area that will be magnified. You can move the rectangle around using the buttons on the controller, and change its size with the control dial. When it's where you want it, you hit the MENU/SET button and voila! You get a magnified live view. Seems easier to just use the focus ring in MF mode with MF ASSIST enabled, which I think is what you're describing, but I don't think that lets you navigate around within the frame in the same fashion. Could be wrong on that though, and I'm not near my camera at the moment to check.

Gordon

4. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    With MF ASSIST on, if you switch to MF and then tweak the focus ring it magnifies the focus area. At that point you can use the arrow keys to move the magnified area around the image.

Whether you bump with focus ring (with MF ASSIST on) or touch the < button, you can pan around in the same way.

5. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    Does pressing in the adjustment wheel work on the G1? It does on my GF1 but only in MF mode I think.