Magha Bucha Day

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by robbie36, Feb 28, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    About 5 months ago I visited a Wat in Bangkok early one morning called Wat Phra Dhammakaya. I got some great shots including the two below.

Dhammakaya_2_of_13_.

Dhammakaya_1_of_13_.

The Wat is quite extraordinary to look at. It is shaped like a flying saucer and has 1 million 4 inch golden Buddha statues on its roof. It is actually the largest Wat in Thailand and can hold 1 million worshipers at a time. It tends to receive very little attention because it holds no religious or historic significance and is in fact run by what amounts to a religious 'cult'. I call it a 'cult' because essentially offer the reward of wealth in your present life - say becoming wealthy or good exam results for those who donate to their cause. It is located close to Don Muang airport and occupies a site as large as the airport itself.

Anyhow I was keen to return when the Wat was busy and chose Magha Bucha day. Magha Bucha day is an important Buddhist religious holiday in that it celibrates the spontaneous get together of 1250 monks to hear the doctrines of Buddha as well as the day exactly 44 years later that Buddha announced he had reached 'enlightment'.

Approximately 20,000 monks gathered at Dhammakaya and something between 250,000 to 350,000 followers all dressed in white. It was quite something to be at the event and unfortunately the photos dont really grasp the scale of the whole thing.

Still I hope you enjoy.

Dhammakaya_3_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_4_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_5_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_6_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_7_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_8_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_9_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_10_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_11_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_12_of_13_.
    Dhammakaya_13_of_13_.

• Like Like x 4
  2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Great images, and colours too, very well taken. :smile:

Thanks for sharing.

3. AndreasJ

AndreasJ Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Very impressive!

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    What a fantastic place!
    All those goldy-looking Buddhas!

I think your thread is missing a couple of context wide shots, just to give us an idea of where it is and what the whole place looks like ...