Magenta cast on reds - OM-D E-M1 mark II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mugur Sco, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a question about a newly acquired camera.
    Recently I brought an OM-D E-M1 mark II.
    Did some tests around the house and I discovered some problems with the red colour. I am a long time user of Lightroom and I did a lot of photography with Canon (5D mark II) and some Sony NEX cameras. Never had to deal with this so I am assuming that I am doing something wrong.
    Briefly, my new e-m1.2 has some magenta cast on some very deep red objects. Please look at the attached image.
    All settings are neutral in camera.
    I am using mac, so on the right you can see the orf and jpeg from camera.
    On the left you have the orf in lightroom and olympus viewer.
    The only one "looking" right is the upper left orf in the preview app. All the others have a horrible magenta cast.
    I know the preview app does not show the "real" raw but only an embedded image from the orf file. But it is the only one looking right.

Attached Files:

2. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Sorry, not upper left, but upper right.

3. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    I'm curious as to what anyone could possibly say about your single example.

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I noticed this as well during the Olympus Drink & Click event using the E-M1 Mk II. I tried to correct it, but it never equals the nicer IQ from my E-P5 which does not have this cast.

E-M1 Mark II with 75mm f/1.8 and ISO 3200.

drinkclick10.

5. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I've also noticed a tendency towards magenta when processing images from the E=M1 mk II in Lightroom... my assumption was that Adobe hadn't yet released full support for the camera, but I may be wrong about that. My workaround has been to nudge the "Red Primary/Hue" slider a little to the right in the "Camera Calibration" panel.

6. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    OK, Lightroom yes, a generic profile or whatever... But what about Olympus own viewer, displaying the same magenta cast

7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    That is one thing I really like about my E-P5, the out of camera pictures are really good

8. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    @Mugur Sco@Mugur Sco This thread might be useful: M1 Mark ii - Help with weird pixels !!!

From my post (last in that thread):

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  9. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    OK, I will try to simplify things. Let's limit to ORF, forget jpegs. Also let's limit to Olympus viewer, forget Lightroom.
    Absolute no treatment was made to the ORF (image below). Just opened the file in OV3. No change to white balance, everything is as shot.
    In camera profile was set on Neutral. Color space sRGB.
    The Preview app (mac native) is probably displaying an embedded image from raw file, NOT the raw file itself. BUT it has the (almost) right colors.
    So the same orf in Preview app and in OV3.

Attached Files:

10. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    I don't know if you read the thread I linked to, but I suspect that you have blown highlights in your RAW image. Olympus with all its magic recovers highlights even and renders the embedded jpeg correctly (this is also true for both my cameras), but if you develop the RAWs yourself, you will have to handle this by adjusting the WB and highlight recovery.

11. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    How ca I upload a file with orf extension. It gives me an error

12. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Looking at the histogram in OV3 (visible in picture) it does not show any blown highlights, on the contrary. No highlight recover is necessary.

13. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Can you process the jpeg from OV3 and upload to the site? Screen shots have a lot of ambiguity. All I can say is that red flowers like that will typically blow highlights unless you underexpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    I took a quick look at your links. I got the idea, but here there are absolutely no highlights blown. Not the same thing. How ca I upload orf files?

15. I have an E-M1.2 and I am also red green colorblind, so I while I can sympathize with your problems, I just don't see it as being a problem.

16. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    You can't. You will need to upload them to dropbox/google drive or some other cloud storage and then post the link here.

17. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Just to eliminate the blown highlights. Two images. Look at the fabric. I suppose the fabric does not produce blown highlights.

Attached Files:

18. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Well,
    Here it is: P6160147.ORF

19. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Looking at your .ORF in Camera RAW, with the colour profile set to sRGB as you say you have done, there is a fair amount of red clipping. There is little or no clipping in, for example, Adobe RGB (1998) or, obviously, ProPhoto, which both have wider gamuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Mugur Sco

Mugur Sco Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    I am sorry, but what do you mean by red clipping. I have the histogram right in front of me now and I don't see any spikes in red.