Made the switch

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by swampduck, Apr 29, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Just ordered the G5 with 14-42 and 45-150. My final decision was made mostly due to the nice write up by entropicremnants post. My reasons for switching is the fact that built in VF and ergonomics. Also the fact that most people feel the IQ is not as good, but pretty close to the more expensive EM-5.

Shameless Plug, I currently have my E-PL1 outfit posted for sale

https://www.mu-43.com/f17/e-pl1-14-42-location-usa-ships-conus-45399/

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, I still prefer Oly personally, but I'll bet the EPL1 to G5 is a tremendous upgrade. Enjoy, and post some pics.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, from the E-PL1 the G5 should be a nice upgrade in both handling and images... but what you really need is still good glass. ;)

4. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I have the Panny 14 2.5 already and love that lens. When money allows I am going to getting the Panasonic 45 and the 100-300, that will be a while though

5. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Congrats on the upgrade- I made the same one myself a few months back! Definitely a substantial step up. I have been using the Oly 45 and G5 combo pretty exclusively with my newborn and am consistently blown away with the results. Along with the two lens kit that came with the camera and my holdover 20mm, I am happy with my stable right now

6. laserguidedtaco

laserguidedtaco New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2013
    Cape Coral, FL
    Carlos
    Good desicion!

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm a long-time E-PL1 user who's tried Panasonic several times (GF1, GF3 and G3) and for whatever reason they Panasonics have just never "clicked" with me. I think it's equal parts ergonomics/handling (which may be down to familiarity as much as anything else I can put my finger on) and output (although I haven't conducted any rigorous A/B tests I just like the "look" of the Olympus images better). Perhaps I've just never spent enough time with the Panasonics, but I shot quite a number of images with all all three. I guess I'm just an "Olympus guy", and I've heard many here who have a similar bent toward Panasonic.

The G5 should definitely be a big step up from the E-PL1 in terms of sensor, performance, etc., but I would suggest not dumping the Olympus until you get the G5 in your hand and make sure that it works for you.

8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I get this completely. I was a Canon guy and never even dreamed of switching to Nikon. But in this case, I never fully developed that type of relationship with Olympus. Most likely due to the fact I haven't done any "real" photography with the Olympus. I have taken some serious pics lately, but up to that point nothing more than snapshots.
    I have fallen in love with the Panny 14mm however. So I don't think I will regret the switch too much since I am keeping that lens.

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The major difference between the Canon/Nikon and the Olympus/Panasonic debate is that switching from Canon to Nikon would require you to purchase all new lenses, while switching between Olympus and Panasonic is fairly painless in that regard. That's one of the huge advantages of the :43: standard. Some develop preferences for the Olympus bodies, some for the Panasonic and some choose both.

While I hope that you love your new G5, I don't see how the P14 factors into it. I have both the P14 as well as the P20 and they perform wonderfully (IMHO) on any of the various bodies from both manufacturers. In fact, to me the tiny P14 makes more sense on the more compact E-PL1 than it does on the larger G5.

10. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I was merely stating that I never made a real attachment to the Olympus body, so making a switch to a different body wasnt a big deal. I know that Canon vs Nikon would habe meant a whole new system unlike th m4/3 system where lenses are used on any body. In response to Ned about getting good glass now I guess I phrased it incorrectly while talking about Panny 14.
    I will choose my words more carefully in the future so as to not cause any unwarranted debates.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hey, Dan, it wasn't my intention to be argumentative, and I apologize if you took my post that way. I realize you haven't built an attachment to the Olympus, I just wanted you to be aware that there are other usability considerations between cameras from the two brands. I'd hate to see you sell your Oly and later find out that the Panasonic doesn't fit the way you work.

All that said, I suspect that since you are a former (reformed?) DSLR user the G5 will feel quite comfortable to you.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - I wouldn't give up ibis because I rely on it a lot, but definitely a great upgrade. :cool:

13. I have also mostly used Olympus cameras. Tried the GF1, briefly tried the GX1; couldn't get the output of either to my liking although the ergonomics were fine. The GH1 however, no problems at all.

14. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    It was late and I was a bit punchy...