Made the jump to m4/3 from 5DII!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by canuck88, Oct 9, 2012.

1. canuck88

canuck88 New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2012
    Hi everyone!

Former p/t pro photographer (on a hiatus after the birth of my 2nd child) here from Ontario, Canada.

I've been shooting on 5DII bodies for the past 4 years, and during that time have picked up a GF1 (with 14-45 and 20) and a Fuji X10 to fiddle around with. Decided last week to sell my Canon gear and buy an OM-D with grip, 12-50 (still have the Panny lenses). No turning back now! I'm definitely interested in the 45/1.8 (I used to shoot the Canon 85/1.2), but I think I'm going to wait until it's released in black.

What did it for me?

1. The size (lugging heavy equipment around when you have little kids is mental)
    2. The IBIS - especially for my legacy Minolta lenses and video
    3. The focus speed
    4. The low cost
    5. Better video than the Fuji X-Pro1/X-E1

At this point in my life having small kids, it's important that my camera produce photos and videos of good quality from the same unit. Nothing beats full-frame image quality in my opinion, but the OM-D seems to blend photo/video together perfectly (without the weight).

I'll still probably buy the X-E1/18-55mm kit when it comes out to compare, but for now I'm in like flynn with the OM-D!

Can't wait to test it out (and compare the 12-50/14-45)...
    • Like Like x 3
  2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Nice! Welcome! Make sure you update to the latest firmware (1.5) to take advantage of the IBIS with video using your legacy glass.
  3. kjomedia

kjomedia New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2012
    5Dmkii to GF3

Congrats! Thinking about doing the same thing. Except with a GF3.
  4. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Welcome !

@ Danska : Is fw 1.5 a good update ?
    i'm gonna get my om-d soon too and should i update instantly ?
  5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I updated as soon as I got home from the camera store

it went very smooth once members helped me with a hiccup. :2thumbs:
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum - enjoy that camera! :biggrin:
  7. Ver7igo

Ver7igo Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    Welcome to the forum! In my opinion the OM-D is currently as good as it gets when it comes to m4/3 cameras. The 45 1.8 is also a fantastic little lens and gets the most playtime with my camera.
  8. arcamemoria

arcamemoria New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2012
    That's encouraging to hear that this system works for you coming from a 5DII. I think your reasoning makes a lot of sense. I'm new to m43 as well..had to sell all my Nikon gear for some expenses. Now I'm trying to sell my remaining Fujifilm X10 so I can get into m43...pretty excited to get my hands on a camera.
  9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    The main aspect of it that was good for me is the IBIS being shut off from running constantly. I haven't seen whether or not it actually increases battery life, but I imagine it does. I don't shoot much video but wouldn't mind trying with legacy glass due to smooth MF and manual aperture.
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome and congrats for OMD . Its a fantastic little gem and Oly 45 mm 1.8 is of the best lenses available in MFT. I have used it quite extensively . I think you should try 75 mm 1.8 .
  11. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Welcome! I imagine that replacing your 5D Mk. II with Micro Four Thirds will be a weight off your shoulders...
  12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    i did your same jump months ago. never looked back. have fun. and dont worry. you can get that "FF" bokeh with the O45 and O75. so you wont lose anything but weight and size!