1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Made peace with my E-P3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I realized my biggest issue with the E-P3 had nothing to do with what it was but with what it was not. So, I decided to just go out and shoot and try to make the best of what it can do and not fret about what it can not do. Had the most fun I have had with it since I got it. Found out that I much prefer a wrist strap to a neck strap.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7089409951/" title="Open by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7089409951_3ea309c374_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Open"></a>
    P20/1.7 @ f2 - ISO1600

Also found out that I absolutely suck at zone focusing...gonna have to practice that.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You should've moved a little more to the left, so that the writing says "PEN". xD

Just kidding, that is a beautiful shot!

• Like Like x 7
  3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    :rofl: LOL, I wish I had seen that.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6943505146/" title="End of the Line by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6943505146_a67cfb67db_b. "683" height="1024" alt="End of the Line"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Great shot- I'm with you on the wrist strap.Never use a neck one now.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Nice shot!

IMO zone focusing with focus-by-wire lenses is hopeless. Even with manual lenses, I only find it useful at the wide end (28mm EFL or wider).

DH

• Like Like x 1
  7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Yeah its really tricky for sure. I found that even with the 12 2.0 its not that accurate. Really, the best way to zone focus is with a camera and lens that is designed for that.

The best thing to do is to get to know your individual lens and see what is going on. Each lens has their own personality and knowing what to do when takes practice.

8. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Happy to see you out shooting! Thats the best way to enjoy photography :smile: I found that it can take about 10,000 frames to really get to know your camera. I shoot with my Pen Mini a lot and am getting to know what it is good for and what it is not good for.

BTW unless you have a distance scale trying to zone focus is going to be a huge challenge for many reasons. Even with the 12mm 2.0 Olympus it can be tricky since its focus by wire and the distance scale is not exact.

Keep shooting and posting!

9. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Nice fire hydrant!

"I realized my biggest issue with the E-P3 had nothing to do with what it was but with what it was not."

What were the issues you had to "make peace" with? So far, after shooting quite a bit and learning some of the menu craziness (with much help from this site) I haven't found anything that my '3 can't do that I need done. Sure, there are things that my D7000 does much better. But the reality is that none of those were ever useful to me as far as my shooting style/interests. Some of the things that I initially had issues with for my '3 turned out to be "fixable" within the menu - just had to find it - or with my misunderstanding of a particular control/setting. Now my D7000/lenses sits unused on the shelf.

But I'd be very interested in your take on what the limitations the camera has for your particular use/style.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

It really wasn't so much limitation of the E-P3 but me having unrealistic expectations about what it was. I have always had a love/hate relationship with the PEN cameras. I love the way they look and the E-P3 in particular how responsive it is. I however do not like the VF2. I find using it a bit like trying to play racquetball with a cast on. It's ungainly (also ugly) and easily knocked off. That said, I have bever been able to use the rear LCD I anything but ideal light. I had hoped the new OLED would make that a non issue but it is no better than the LCD on the E-P1 when it comes to being able to be seen in bright light. I have also never been comfortable with the control layout in the PENs. My favorite in that respect is the Panasonic G and GH series. I love the flip out screen and built-in EVF. The truth is that I cannot expect the E-P3 to behave like my G2. I can't do the same kinds of things with it so after much angst (and several attempts to trade and/or sell the E-P3 and VF2) I decided that I was going about it all wrong and that I should focus on learning what the E-P3 does well an adapt to it.

One thing that I needed to give up is my love of shooting at weird angles. The G2s flip out screen is really meant for that kind of thing. I also need to adapt to using the EVF a lot less and work on my skills using the LCD more. Finally I just need to come up with a solution for holding the camera as I find the EP-3 fairly clumsy to hold (and use the controls). I ordered the larger E-P3 grip in hopes of making it less of a chore to hold. I can't do much about the button placement nut the SCP helps when I can see the OLED. It's a process.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The bigger grip helps enormously. I can shoot with it all day long. Keep shooting!

12. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks -- good info! I can see that for what you like the '3 certainly has some limitations.

Funny, the very first digi camera I bought was a Nikon Coolpix 950 and I thought that the fact that the body section (with the LCD) and lens could be rotated separately so as to be able to see the LCD regardless of how the lens was pointed. I remember at the time I thought - "this is the way all cameras need to be!" But, as I got into DSLRs from my film SLRs/Leica M6, I sort of forgot about that.

Just yesterday I was in a museum here (Mexico city) with the '3 and the ability to see the screen while holding the camera overhead pointing downward would have been very helpful. Of course, I could still take a pic, look at it and do it again if I had the angle wrong but it would have been a lot easier with a moveable screen.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It arrives Friday...I'm looking forward to trying it out.

14. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Where did you order your grip from? B&H? I think I'm going to have to order one as well.

I need to do as you've done and really get out and get shooting with my E-P3 to get comfortable with it. It isn't a huge stretch in form factor coming from a GF1 (still no movable screen, add-on articulated EVF, not much of a grip), but it is taking some getting used to where things are in Olympus' extremely detailed menus. Love that they've at least redone them though; my brief run with an E-P2 showed me the menus were basically the same as my C-3030z circa 2000!

15. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1 on the large grip. The camera feels totally different with it and it's much more comfortable than the standard grip. In some ways I prefer no grip to the standard grip.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Yep, I got it form b&H along with the larger eyecup for the VF2 for when I use that as I hear that it makes a big difference for glasses users.

17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Yep, I got it from B&H along with the larger eyecup for the VF2 for when I use that as I hear that it makes a big difference for glasses users. I rather like the new UI fir the E-P3. It's not particualrly logical the way it is laid out but its easier on the yes than the one on my E-P1.

18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i cant believe people use these cameras with neckstraps!
    they are so totally made for wrist strappers!

• Like Like x 1
  19. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Never could figure out how to change lenses easily while walking/moving on any camera with a wrist strap...heck, a neck strap IS a wrist strap if you just wrap it around your wrist! :smile:

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Omg! Then it's all huge n bulky!
    *scratches mexicomik off of photo walk list*.
    Lol!

You can't change lenses! Wait... Yer not trying to put the wrist strap around yer neck out of habit, r u???
    *eyebrows raised*
    hehe

- Eliot