1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Made and designed in Taiwan Olympus OMD E-M5 Exclusive Handle

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bl1978, Apr 12, 2013.

1. bl1978

bl1978 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Made and designed in Taiwan Olympus OMD E-M5 Exclusive Handle

Features:
    1. Using a full block of aluminum to process, cut no corners, the handle and the base form an integrated whole
    2. Complicated 3D curved surface processing
    3. Perfect match with E-M5's side rake angle and the lower edge of the lens
    4. Super thin base about 7mm only

[​IMG]

Perfect hand-hold radian
    [​IMG]

Middle finger space at 3D curved surface, comfortable hand force
    [​IMG]

Front view: The integrated feeling of the handle, the thickness of the base is only 7mm
    [​IMG]

Upper view: No exceeding the width of the camera
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

Back view
    [​IMG]

Perfect match with E-M5's side rake angle and the lower edge of the lens
    [​IMG]

Finger space designed as screen turning space
    [​IMG]

Turning easily
    [​IMG]

Battery changing without disassembling the handle
    [​IMG]

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Stop teasing us and tell us how much and where to buy it!
    Rudy

3. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I wonder if the E-PM2 would ever get such a grip! It's awful to hold with long lenses!

4. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
  5. bl1978

bl1978 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    correct price nt:4300
    US: 148
    made in taiwan

6. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Why buy from far away when you can get a better grip made in Brooklyn for much less money!!

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Have to say they've hit many right design notes though. It looks good, allows battery changing, and for pano shooters it centers the tripod mount.

I have an HLD-6 and I'm not interested but if the price were lower this thing would sell well I think. That price may be overestimating the "passion" of the E-M5 users, lol.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Was just about to type the same thing. $100 less, too!

9. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Kudos for development and manufacturing this. Personally I think it looks much better then J Milich grip (which does not conforms to the curves of the body and looks like a REALLY nice DIY job) and it is obviously a better quality then a plastic JB Camera OM-D grip (but also much more expensive). However, at this price point RRS grip is a better option in my opinion - at least the same build quality (if not better), integrated Arca Swiss plate (important for someone using tripod), good resale value since RRS is a well known a reputable brand, optional L-plate add-on, and it costs less - $125. Also, a used Olympus OEM grip can be found around $200 - $215 which not only adds a grip but also electronics and optional second battery holder.

I would say at ~$100.00 price point or less, I would consider this grip as an alternative to RRS.

Nice job though and always good to have another grip option.

10. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
  11. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Looks like a rip-off of JB's grip! The JB is composite plastic which is easily strong enough for tripod mounted shots. Anything 300mm or bigger you would want a mount on the lens anyway.

12. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I would disagree with that. Something that is machined out of aluminum is certainly better than anything made out of plastic no matter how fancy you call that plastic. I could not find official specs of the JB grip base thickness but from the pictures it appears certainly thicker, which matters to me because I switched to OM-D from Canon for compactness. Also,saying that it is a ripoff is like claiming that everyone ripping off iPhone because they all look the same. Yes the grip looks similar because it serves the same function and follows the same body outline; however, several improvements are outlined in the original post so it is certainly not a ripoff. It would be a ripoff if someone made a mold out of JB's grip and started pouring the same plastic grip and selling it. This is certainly a different design, material, and quality. There is another thread that shows the design process including drawings etc.

If the price would be under a $100 I would certainly consider this instead of a $47 piece of plastic... no offence to JB grip since it is great for the price.

PS. Just as a disclaimer, I have no connection to the OP, the sellers, manufacturers, etc. of this grip. Just stating my opinion. I looked at J Milich grip, owned RRS grip (sold it but miss it), and currently own OEM grip so I have a good base of comparison. Now if someone wants to send me a copy of this grip for an "official" review, I will be happy to do so :)

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Not that I am in the market for an OM-D grip, but from an aesthetic standpoint, this strikes me as the best one I've seen. However, from a functional standpoint, I think that the RRS probably wins out due to the Arca-Swiss + L-plate functionality. For me, at least, function would win out over form.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    And colder!!

15. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Y2K, you're right. There are some significant differences most notably the curve where your forefinger would go in front. The " aluminum is better than plastic " argument is debatable in this day and age.

16. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Certainly, there are many different grades of plastic and aluminium!

I quite like this grip, and can understand the cost for the design and manufacturing process chosen, but is expensive for the functionality it provides.

17. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Very nice grip, hot sell if keep the price under $100. I'm going to Taiwan next month, do you have stock on hand?

18. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    FWIW I added the JB Grip to my EM-5 and am amazed at how big a difference it has made in the way the camera handles. It is light and incredibly solid. I like the added depth on the grip fits my pinky finger. I am able to change battery without removing the grip. The JB Grip is great value for money spent.

The engineering and great looks of the new grip just don't make it worth an extra $100.

19. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    The machined grip looks awesome, and its a labour intensive process to do fine machining. If not the swiss, then the Taiwanese are right up there for world class machining. A huge proportion of fine machined parts come from Taiwan, including high end mountain bike parts.

That's just reality. There's a very skilled labour force there and that has built up over 30 years.

USA also makes some kick ass machined parts, namely engine parts that are world class.

Nice to see more accessories for m43 as we all win.

20. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I don´t want to be rude but your American centered comment doesn´t take into account that this is a worldwide forum, with visitors from many other countries different from the USA, many of them from Asia, which can be interested in a Taiwanese product that can offer excellent quality.