MacUpdate Bundle ($377.79) now on SALE for $49.99

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by okinana, Mar 14, 2012.

1. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Are you getting it because you like the programs, or because it's on sale? VMWare Fusion is the only program there that I have experience with. It's helpful if you need to run Windows in parallel with OS X, but I found that I really didn't need to run them at the same time, so I set up a FAT32 transfer partition on my Macbook and then just ran Boot Camp. Setting up an operating system to run inside of an operating system is horribly inefficient, and for more intensive applications, you'd do better just restarting in Boot Camp. Eventually, I even gave Boot Camp up, as I wasn't really using it for anything that I couldn't just use with OS X.

As for the other apps, I don't see anything worthwhile that the OS can't do natively already, or features that I never knew I needed, and still don't think I need.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    VMWare and PDFPen alone are worth price of admission to me. Thanks for posting this!

DH

4. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I picked up Toast from an earlier bundle a while back. actually, I took part in a make-shift "group buy" on the MacRumors forums so I only purchased the two titles I wanted. it worked out well - I think I spent less than $15 for Toast plus an SD/flash card data retriever. one person ordered the bundle and then sold off the software they didn't want and emailed the serial number.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've bought a couple packages like this over the years including one from macupdate. I've used Fusion, DriveGenius and Forklift. They're all very good at what they do.

Fusion is good if you need to run Windows or other operating systems occasionally. For most applications the performance hit isn't very bad. It's especially good for having an OS installation that's portable from one Mac to another.

I've used DriveGenius to recover data from very damaged drives. Stuff that Disk Utility can't touch. I paid $99 for it and it was worth every penny. A good back-up regimen is easier but it doesn't always happen.

I need to update both of these apps so I'm thinking of buying this bundle myself.

Fred

6. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for all your feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App