1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Macros Olympus 60mm vs Canon FD 50mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WILLJ8765, Mar 6, 2013.

1. WILLJ8765

WILLJ8765 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    I did a very quick comparison of the Olympus 60mm macro versus an old Canon FD 50mm macro. To make it more interesting, I mounted the Olympus on my E-M5 and the Canon on my E-PL2. Both lenses are set at 1:1 (with ext tube on the Canon). Both shots were handheld with off camera flash.

Theses were resized for upload to the gallery.

Olympus 60mm

P3060147O.

Canon 50mm

P3060082C.

I love the Olympus macro on the E-M5 but the E-PL2 and the Canon are a bargain. If you are on a tight budget, the E-PL2 and the Canon macro can be purchased for less than the cost of the Olympus 60mm macro alone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A quick tonal map in Photoshop of the Canon FD image would put it on par with the m.Zuiko out of the box. :) I usually use old macro lenses and they are certainly a little behind my digital-spec lenses but with that little bit of post processing the results are nearly the same.

Macro lenses are always made to a high standard of sharpness. Therefore, even old macro lenses can have the detail you need to work with. What they lack is that color and punch (probably from the better coatings on the digital lenses), which a bit of post-processing can make up for.