Macro with the Panasonic 45-175mm / Raynox DCR-250

Discussion in 'Nature' started by wjiang, Feb 3, 2016.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just found a used Raynox DCR-250 at my local store for about 35 USD. I had heard good things about it but I was nevertheless blown away by how well it works on the P45-175! It is easily the best makeshift macro combination I've tried compared to previous experiences with the O12-40, O12-50, O45, O40-150R and P45-175 plus various extension tubes and achromatic dioptres.

These are at 1.88x magnification (plus some cropping), lit with off camera flash. The working distance at 175mm is great but getting into the right focusing range at high magnification can be a challenge - I'm finding that I typically need to zoom out to 45mm for initial subject acquisition.
    • Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Very cool, I'm also amazed at how good the images are. The in-focus parts of the legs in the first picture remind me of false coloured electron microscope images.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. wjiang

Thanks - and yeah, the excellent reputation of the Raynox is well deserved.
  4. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    What's your workable focus range at 175?
  5. wjiang

For manual focus, approximately 1cm from MFD to infinity equivalent. This translates to approximately 9-10cm from the front element of the Raynox. It's too small for autofocus really, I tend to leave it at MFD and move the camera. The 45-175 is almost parfocal so zooming out and in to acquire and reframe is not a problem.
  6. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    Love the images!
    do you recommend this combo for someone who wants to buy a tele zoom and a macro but since is not his pmian lens/style of shooting don't want to spend too much $$$?
  7. wjiang

The specific telezoom is less important, the Raynox DCRs are one of the best though, along with the Marumi DHG achromatic dioptres if you can get either for a good price. If you're just starting out I'd go with a smaller magnification like the DCR-150, easier to work with.
  8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    For a very low price (about $70 used), naturecloseups recommended this Nikon 75-240 zoom: PEN E-PL1: Cheap thrills

I doubt that it's quite as sharp as the 45-175, but some of the examples naturecloseups posted in the thread are excellent.
  9. wjiang

Hmm I'd much prefer one of those $99 Olympus 40-150R deals that turn up from time to time. I used to own one, there's not much between the two for sharpness. I mostly just preferred the ergonomics of the Panasonic.

Edit: Seems like there's one of those deals on now:

Olympus M. 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R Zoom Lens $99
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  10. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Great images; I'm going to try with with my 45-175!

2 quick questions; Are these shots all handheld? And how do you defuse your flash?