Macro Wasp!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by dafs, Oct 4, 2012.

1. dafs

dafs Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    I've been playing around with some Macro shots for a while, and when i found this wasp on my windowsill -it was the perfect model.

I use an old Olympus 50mm f/1.8 OM F.Zuiko lens, fitted on some macro extension tubes. (weird combo i know - but they were old gear that i picked up free!)

More Macro shots here: Macro Photos - a set on Flickr

<a href="" title="Wasp Attack by dafyddelfryn, on Flickr">[​IMG]"600" height="800" alt="Wasp Attack"></a>

<a href="" title="Stinger by dafyddelfryn, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Stinger"></a>

<a href="" title="Wasp by dafyddelfryn, on Flickr">[​IMG]"784" height="800" alt="Wasp"></a>

Let me know what you think:smile:
    • Like Like x 9
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Nice shots! Not so weird, I have the same lens and a full set of extension tubes to go with it. When I shoot macro I manual focus so the legacy setup works just fine.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Very cool shots - thanks for sharing! The wasp looks a bit intimidating, even less-than-alive.

BTW, have you seen Craig Taylor's m4/3 macro stuff with focus stacking. If not yet, here is his flickr stream:
    Flickr: Craig.Taylor's Photostream
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Very good. That sting gives me the creeps.
  5. dafs

dafs Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Stacking shots is definitely something i want to try out :cool:
  6. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

great pics!
    I have an OM 50mm but have never used it since I have the 45mm. You've just given me a use for it now. I'll try a cheap macro tube from ebay and see how I go
  7. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

hey I'm a bit confused as to exactly what I need to fit the OM 50mm f1.8 to my EM5 to use as a macro
    Do I need 2 separate parts : an OM to 4/3 extension tube like this:
    Macro Extension tube for Olympus om 4/3 E620 E600 E520 | eBay

together with a MMf3?

or is there an extension tube that will allow a direct fit of the lens to the Em5?
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Really stunning work here! :bravo-009:
  9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    cool shots ... would love to see more DOF on some of them though. just a pet-peeve of mine when it comes to macro shots :biggrin:
  10. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Good style, lighting could be better. Right diffusion will give you better exposure without blown highs and show the specimen to better effect. Looks like a dead wasp but practice makes perfect.
  11. dafs

dafs Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks everyone again for the comments. I'll try and experiment with the DOF and lighting - just need to find something to model for me (preferably alive this time! :smile:)