Macro tube question - OM or m43 tube?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ashatron, May 16, 2010.

1. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    im wanting to do macro with my manual focus four thirds OM lenses.

i have seen those micro 4/3 extension tubes -
    macro extension tube 4 Panasonic G1 G2 GH1 GF1 micro 43 on eBay (end time 08-Jun-10 07:48:36 BST)

and If i went for the micro 4/3 tubes i could use them with my micro4/3 lenses AND my four third lenses like so -
    [​IMG]

but im concerned that the smaller diameter of the micro 4/3 tubes would mean less light gets to the sensor (making it harder to shoot), the tube diameter of the OM extension tube is much larger.

would this be a fair assumption? or would you say the difference would be minuscule?
    which would you say would be best?

Has anyone tried the m43 extension tubes?? if so are they good quality?

Thanks.

2. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    As long as the internal diameter ("aperture") of the tubes isn't smaller than the sensor there can be no problem.
    There should be no difference in behaviour/exposure between the two tube types.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The smaller tubes won't make any difference. If you're concerned, wait a few days and my tubes will hopefully be here by mid week at the latest and I can confirm for certain.

Cheers

Ray

4. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Great, stuff thanks for the info :)

Oh you have ordered some yourself? fantastic! cant wait to get some concrete information on how they work.

Thanks dude :)

5. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

6. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    No contacts and I actually think they have much greater use, as Olympus extension tubes don't allow stacking, so you're stuck with using only one tube. I don't see the lack of connectors a limitation at all, as I intend to use them with legacy lenses which don't provide connections anyway and I have some very good macro and other lenses to use with these tubes.

Even with the connected extension tube, you pretty much have to turn of AF, so that the camera doesn't choose the focus point, which is inevitably the wrong one. Macro photography pretty much means manual focus all the way and moving the camera to get the subject in focus. So all that's left for the electronics to do is adjust the aperture prior to exposure, not really worth the effort for macro work. Exposure works just fine without connections.

For the low cost of these extension tubes, you'll have a lot more fun and get better shots than you will with all the electronics deciding for you.

Cheers

Ray

7. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I have gone the other route in that I already have extension rings for my existing FD and R lenses. However, purchasing adaptors is somewhat hit and miss. I have had some bad experiences with adaptors in as much as some are quite loose when mounted. Any movement between the body and lense will reduce the quality of the image especially when working at 1:1 or less. An EOS to Leica made by Fotodiox was the worst, it was so sloppy the lock would disengage just from the pressure of rotating the iris ring. Peculiarly price has little to do with the problem Fotodiox is not the cheapest while at the other end of the scale I have an EOS to Tamron adaptor ring that cost AUD 9.50 and that is perfect. I have a Novoflex M4/3 to FD ordered on the strength of a report from a UK colleague. I just hope Novoflex's QC with adaptors is as good as some of thier other products.

Cheers

Michael

8. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The extension tube set arrived today. I'll include some shots later, but as for first impressions, this extension tube set has a good, quality, feel to it. The bayonet fit on both the camera and lens side is nice and tight, with no slack. The tubes screw together neatly and it's not difficult to find the start of the thread for each tube. The inside of the tubes are machined to reduce internal reflections and flare, but they don't have a matt surface, so whether this induces problems will remain to be seen.

It's a nice, compact set of tubes, but there's nothing to prevent you from using 4/3s or other brand tubes with an adapter. This set, dedicated to m4/3s, means that I can easily use all of the len combinations that I already have, with their own m4/3s adapters.

The only thing that doesn't really line up is the lens and camera body when attached to the tube/s. I guess this can be difficult to do, without extensive work to ensure that each thread aligns perfectly with the mounts. It could be done, but the cost I'd say would rise significantly. But it's not really a problem, as when doing macro work, you need to take your time and be methodical anyway. Or if you wanted to be industrious, you could possibly work the tubes so that they did line up, by adding a stop or somesuch in the body of each tube.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with these extension tubes.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  9. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    Funny, my set of 3 OM tubes seems to, at least I remember using them stacked.

Larry

10. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    OM tubes do, 4/3s tubes don't, because of the electronics. OM tubes are manual, legacy, tubes, same as these m4/3s tubes. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

11. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    OK, here are some quick and dirty, hand held, shots taken with a Minolta M-Rokker 90mm f4 lens @f5.6 (I like the standoff distance), at ISO800.

With 4 tubes (including front and rear mount:

[​IMG]

With 3 tubes:

[​IMG]

With 2 tubes:

[​IMG]

With 1 tube (front and rear mount only):

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 4
  12. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    thanks ra for the shots - is the 4th tube pushing it too far?? how does the shot lok on your monitor? on mine it looks a little fuzzy - was it shot as a jpeg

13. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Shooting with the maximum number of tubes handheld is really pushing it if you want sharp shots, so it was merely an indicative shot of magnification available with the tubes. The more tubes that you use, the longer the focal length of the lens comes into its own.

Cheers

Ray

14. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Great stuff ray!

I've been watching this thread like a hawk for your mini review!
    Thanks for the posts and pics. However you have made me even more indecisive as to whether I get these or the OM tube set. Hmmmm

decide for me?? :)

thanks again!

15. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Let me decide for you, get both sets, it wont break the bank. I already have a set of Vivitar OM tubes and after reading Ray's posts and looking at his shots, i ordered a set today, at £26 they are a steal. :thumbup:

John

16. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

If I understood it well you cannot change the aperture with those Tubes.

Do you know any M43 Tube that allows you to change the aperture?

Thanks in advance

17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    There are no electronically coupled tubes for m43 on the market.

18. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Shall we make one ;)

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've thought about getting the cheap tubes and epoxying in two small pc boards with the appropriate contacts. Until it's too cold to work outside I have absolutely no time for extra projects. Maybe over the winter...